Healthy Start Vouchers
What are Healthy Start vouchers?
Healthy Start is a government scheme to improve the nutritional health of low income pregnant women, mothers and children. The Healthy Start scheme offers vouchers that can be exchanged for fruit, vegetables and milk in any food retailer who are registered to accept the vouchers.
Healthy Start vouchers can:
- Support good nutrition during pregnancy
- Support parents to provide healthy food when introducing solids at 6 months
- Support children to eat a greater amount and a wider variety of vegetables, fruit and milk
They can be worth up to £900 per child. Healthy Start vouchers can help families give their children the very best start in life.
Who is eligible for Healthy Start food vouchers?
Women who are at least ten weeks pregnant and families with children under four years old qualify for Healthy Start if the family is receiving universal credit or pension credit, and the family’s total earned income is £408 or less each month. You also qualify if you are under 18 years old and pregnant, even if you don’t get any of these benefits.
What does Healthy Start provide?
Free vouchers every week to spend on milk, infant formula, fruit and vegetables (fresh and frozen).
- Pregnant women get one Healthy Start voucher a week worth £3.10
- Mothers and their babies under the age of one get two vouchers a week worth a total of £6.20
- Children aged over one and under four years get one voucher a week worth £3.10.
In Haringey, all women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, and all children under four years old are eligible for Healthy Start Vitamins under Haringey’s universal distribution.
How can I apply for Healthy Start vouchers for fruit, vegetables and milk?
Get an application leaflet by:
- Asking the midwife or health visitor
- Calling the Healthy Start helpline on 0345 607 6823
- Downloading a form from the Healthy Start website (PDF - external link). Since 4 April 2020, a Health Professional no longer needs to sign the form - this means you can leave Part B blank
Where can I spend my vouchers?
Many supermarkets and local food shops accept Healthy Start vouchers.
Information leaflet for families on Healthy Start vouchers in Haringey
- Healthy Start website (external link)
- Information on Healthy Start Vitamins
- Healthy Start vouchers - Information for Families (PDF, 302KB)
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required