Carers Emergency Alert Card
- What is the Carers Emergency Alert Card?
- How will the Carers Emergency Alert Card help you?
- Can I rely on the Community Alarm Service?
- How does the scheme work?
- How much does it cost?
- How can I join the scheme?
The Carers Emergency Alert Card will identify you as a carer in the event of an accident.
It is credit card-size so it will fit in a wallet or purse. The card only has your unique PIN number and contact details for the Carers Emergency Scheme. No personal information is recorded on the card.
- It will give you peace of mind
- You can be less anxious about going out and leaving the person you care for at home
- It gives you freedom from worrying that if anything happens to you, the person you care for will be contacted to check that their support needs are being met
- The Carers Emergency Card will identify you as a carer in the event of an accident and details of that person are held on the system. Anyone finding the card (for example, emergency services staff) will be able to contact the Scheme, which is run by the Community Alarm Service
- Staff will look up the carer’s emergency plans in their records and put them into action
The Community Alarm Service is operated by Haringey Council 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for residents who are elderly, disabled or vulnerable and may need to summon help at short notice.
The Service works to the highest quality standards. The Carers Emergency Scheme has a dedicated telephone line and calls are voice recorded.
Carers register with the scheme and provide information about the person they look after (for example, medication) and the names of people who can be contacted in the event of an emergency and who have keys to your home. This information is held by the Community Alarm Service. If the Community Alarm Service receives a call that you have had an accident, they will take action as follows (depending on what has happened to you):
- Contact family or friends to inform them what has happened
- Contact the person you care for and inform them
- Check that the person’s support needs are being met
- Arrange emergency help as required
This service is available to all unpaid carers. Even if you are not able to provide all the emergency contacts, please get in touch; it will not necessarily exclude you from the scheme.
There is no charge for carers to be a member of the scheme.
To join the scheme you must be registered as a carer with Haringey Council.
To register, you can complete the online registration form from the Register as a Carer page. Alternatively, you can contact the Integrated Access Team on 020 8489 1400 and they can post the registration form to you.
For general information about the emergency alert card scheme, telephone 020 8489 2365, quoting Carers Emergency Alert Card.