The Older Person's Freedom Pass
The Older Persons Freedom Pass provides free travel in Greater London on the Underground, Docklands Light Railway, Croydon Tramlink, National Rail services and on local bus services anywhere in England.
There is no time restriction on when the Older Persons’ Freedom Pass can be used in London. However, outside of London pass holders are restricted to free travel between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays.
- Freedom Pass: The Movie
- Are you eligible?
- How to apply
- Replacing lost, stolen or faulty passes
- Renewing your Freedom Pass
- If you have moved address
- Contact us
- Fraud prevention
London Councils has made a film to promote the Freedom Pass, Europe’s most comprehensive concessionary travel scheme which is used by more than 1.3million older and disabled Londoners:
For more information about the video visit Freedom Pass website (external link).
You need to be aged 65 or over to be eligible for an Older Persons Freedom Pass. You can find out when you're eligible to apply for your pass by using the online calculator on the London Councils Freedom Pass Eligibility page (external link).
You can apply for the Older Persons Freedom Pass online via the Freedom Pass website (external link).
More information on what you will need when you apply online can also be found on the Freedom Pass website (external link).
If you are unable to apply online, you can pick up a paper application form, which you will need to complete and return in the post.
You can pick up an application form from:
- Wood Green Central Library
187-197A High Road
You will need to provide proof of your identity, proof of your address and one colour passport-sized photograph to apply.
All applicants need to apply in person bringing with them one proof of Haringey residency such as:
- current State Retirement Pension Book
- current Council Tax bill/letter/payment book/benefits
- current Council/Housing Association rent book or
- TV licence.
The following items if dated in the last three months are also acceptable:
- residential utility bill
- residential bank, building society statement
- Inland Revenue letter
- Benefits Agency letter or
- residential credit card statement
- current State Retirement Pension book
- entitlement card
- letter of pension entitlement
- medical card
- birth certificate (unless your name has changed) or
- pink / new style driving licence
If your Freedom Pass has been lost or stolen or is faulty, please contact London Councils by phone on 0300 330 1433 (local call rate, open Monday-Sunday 8am to 8pm), or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
There is a £10 administration fee for replacing passes that are lost. Passes that are reported stolen are replaced free of charge as long as a crime reference number is provided.
- You will be required to provide one passport size photograph and proof of address, name, and age, as described in the how to apply section above
The replacement pass will end on the same date the original pass was due to expire.
- There is a £10 administration fee for replacing lost or damaged Freedom Passes.
- A £10 charge will be made to replace Freedom Passes which are claimed to be faulty but a refund will be offered if a test proves the pass was faulty.
- If a crime reference number is provided, no charge will be made to replace a stolen Freedom Pass. But without a crime reference number, the pass would be considered to be lost and the fee must be paid.
For information on replacing your pass please go to:
Freedom Passes are valid for five years from the date of issue. Freedom Pass holders who have a pass that is expiring in the coming months, will be contacted automatically by post with renewal forms. If you have changed address since you were issued with your Freedom Pass, please ensure that you inform London Councils on 0845 275 7054.
If you have moved address within, into or out of Haringey, you are required to inform London Councils. To do this, please ring 0845 275 7054. You may not receive important information regarding the renewal of your Freedom Pass if you do not update London Councils with your new address.
If you have any questions, please contact the Concessionary Travel team on 020 8489 1000.
Or for more information on Freedom Passes please see the London Councils Freedom Pass website (external link).
Haringey Council is under a duty to protect public funds. The information you provide in the application form may be used for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for fraud prevention and detection purposes.
For further information contact the Data Protection Officer, Feedback and Information Team, Haringey Council, River Park House, 225 High Road, Wood Green, London, N22 8HQ or email@example.com
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required