Labour Market Information, Local Employers and Regeneration
Haringey covers an area of more than 11 square miles (28.5 km22.) It shares borders with 6 other London councils; clockwise from the north, they are: Enfield, Waltham Forest, Hackney, Islington, Camden, and Barnet. Haringey is located just 6.5miles north of the City of London.
- Haringey has a population of 260,000 (similar size to the whole of Derby!)
- The population is relatively young and ethnically diverse
- 27 per cent of the working population work in the borough - many travel further into London to work
- Industry-wise it is historically based around medium-scale manufacturing industry which, although in decline, still remains strong
- The Public Sector (Public administration, education and health) is the biggest employer in Haringey
- Haringey is extremely well-linked transport wise: there are over 40 bus routes serving Haringey as well as three underground lines
- Haringey's primary asset is its location - just 10 mins from Kings Cross and less than 30 mins from the City or West End
- Haringey is set to gain from Crossrail 2 (due for completion in 2030)
- Haringey retains a strong skilled manufacturing base - Gina shoes are made in the borough as are pianos, military tunics and savoury dips. Recent additions include contemporary fashion (for ASOS and M&S), high-end furniture, artisan cheeses and craft beer!
- Construction, Distribution, Hotels and restaurants and Public Administration sectors also remain very strong
- Emerging sectors include Real Estate and Business activities
- There is a growing tech-led design and skilled manufacturing sector
- Haringey's economy is dominated by small businesses with 93.1% of businesses employing less than 10 people
The average gross weekly pay in Haringey in 2021 was £703.
- London’s average was £728 per week
- Great Britain’s average was £613 per week
- NOMIS (external link) gives a good up-to-date Labour Market of London
- LMI for All (external link) is an online data portal, which connects and standardises existing sources of high quality, reliable labour market information (LMI) with the aim of informing careers decisions
Also, our website has lots of information including census statistics, and economy strategies and policies.
Page Last Updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.
* = response required