What are my options after Year 11 (Post 16)?
Because of RPA (raising the participation age) legislation, you will have to do some sort of learning!
So, what are my options?
You may choose to:
- Stay at School, go to a College or Sixth Form and study full time courses
- Get a job and take a work related course alongside it such as an OCR National, BTEC, City and Guilds or other accredited course
- Be Self Employed but you will also need to do some accredited learning or training course
- Volunteer for 20 hours or more but will need to do some accredited learning alongside it, offered by the organisation or independent of it
- Do an Apprenticeship or other accredited training course
If you have a learning difficulty or SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities), a Statement or an EHCP (Education, Health and Care Plan), then you should talk to your Adviser, Teacher or Home Local Authority about their ‘Local Offer’.
The qualifications that you hold already, for example, how you do in your GCSEs at the end of Year 11 will have a large impact on what you can do, especially at which Level you can study or learn:
If you have...
A few or no GCSE passes
Several GCSEs at E-G
Four or more GCSE passes at grade D or above
5 good A-C passes at GCSE (including English and Maths)
You should apply for a course at:
The course lasts:
Examples of Programmes/Courses are:
16-19 Entry Level or Level 1. Programmes which will include English, Maths and Personal Development and could include:
16-19 courses at Level 1 or Level 2. Apprenticeships may be limited at this level:
16-19 courses at Level 2 or Level 3:
16-19 courses at Level 3 which could include:
On completion you could:
Progress onto a further Entry or Level 1 course
Level 2 Options
Level 3 Options
Higher Education, Skilled Employment
For more information on courses and learning opportunities visit the following websites:
- National Careers Service (external link) - Main government website aimed at helping young people make choices and take the next steps
- UCAS Progress (external link) - Search for all types of college and training courses in a specific area