Adult Carers’ Strategy 2020-23
The Adult Carers' Strategy is for all unpaid adult (aged 18+) carers who live in Haringey, or who live outside of Haringey and care for somebody who lives in the borough. A Young Carers’ Strategy is in development and will outline the distinct needs and priorities of this group.
The joint strategy has been co-produced by carers, statutory partners and voluntary and community sector partners who provide services or have an interest in carers. It demonstrates our commitment to carers and seeks to respond to local issues, outlining how everyone across the system is working together to improve the lives of our carers and those that they care for.
The strategy focuses on five key themes developed from carer feedback about what already exists and what needs to improve:
- Your caring role – emphasising the need to recognise, identify and support carers in their role
- Health and wellbeing – focusing on involving carers as experts, supporting their physical and mental health needs, and helping them adjust to changes in their caring role
- Housing and managing at home – ensuring carers have a safe, appropriate and habitable housing, and are aware of the range of housing adaptations and assistive technologies on offer
- Finances, benefits and debt – supporting carers to maximise income, minimise expenditure, manage debt, and access good quality, independent legal advice
- Having a life of your own – developing opportunities to take breaks from caring, maintaining employment, and keeping carers’ relationships at the forefront of our thinking.
Our mission is to ensure that anyone who provides unpaid care and support to someone else is:
- able to identify themselves and be recognised as a carer
- listened to regarding the care provided for the person they care for
- supported to continue to be a carer
- supported to have a life of their own
- supported to maintain or improve their own health and wellbeing
- provided with helpful information, advice and guidance
- Haringey Adult Carers' Strategy (PDF, 353KB)
- Haringey Adult Carers' Strategy 2020-2023 - EASY READ (PDF, 6MB)
If you are a carer, or look after a family member, friend, or neighbour, support is available. You can contact Haringey Carers First in the following ways:
- Call on 0300 303 1555
- Email at email@example.com
- Online referral form on the Carers FIRST website (external link)
27 October 2020
Carers, health and care partners and residents came together at a live Zoom event on 27 October 2020 to launch the new strategy.
You can catch up on the launch and hear from guest speakers including Claudine and Angie, two of Haringey's carers, colleagues from Adult Social Care and partners at Whittington Health and Citizens Advice Haringey.
Note for iPhone users and Youtube. There is a known bug with iOS and Youtube, Two buttons are read before the player but provide no functionality. We advise that you skip these to access the content.
Access supporting documents from the event
- Adult Carers Strategy launch presentation (PDF, 702KB)
- Citizens Advice presentation (PDF, 292KB)
- Carers First presentation (PDF, 247KB)
- Carers Strategy Launch Q&A (PDF, 418KB)
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required