- Don’t miss out! Apply for OR reconfirm your 30 hours eligibility code to receive 30 hours free childcare
- Find out what's going on in Haringey this summer for children and young people - check out our Holiday fun page
Preparing for 30 hours and Tax-Free childcare
In September 2017, the government introduced two new childcare offers to support working parents:
- 30 hours free childcare
- Tax Free Childcare
Below is some information to help childcare providers, including schools, plan for and implement these new offers.
If you would like to offer 30 hour places: please complete and submit an Expression of Interest Form 30 hours (PDF, 274KB) to Haringey's Early Help Commissioning Team. For guidance on offering 30 hour places, please see our resources section below.
Note: some parents have been unable to access Tax-Free Childcare through their childcare account for technical reasons. If this has happened to your parents, they may be able to claim compensation - see details below.
If you are a parent, please view our parents’ information page.
This service allows registered childcare providers in Haringey to complete, manage and submit funding and related information - in a quick and simple way. Access to the Childcare Provider Portal will only be granted at the request of the manager in writing by email to: email@example.com and once training has been completed.
For more information, please view our Childcare Provider Portal page.
Working parents of 3 and 4-year-olds can receive up to 30 hours free childcare, this is an extension of the current universal entitlement of 15 hours a week.
Eligible parents can now apply for 30 hours free entitlement either online at the Childcare Choices website (external link) or those without internet access can call the Childcare Service Customer Interaction Centre on 0300 123 4097.
Parents can set up an account online and apply for both 30 hours free childcare and Tax-Free childcare at the same time.
When can children start?
If the child is eligible for 30 hours free childcare they can start the term after their third birthday - see the table below:
|Turns three between:||Can start from:||Parent to register online (external link) and submit 30 hour eligibility code to provider by:|
|1 April to 31 August||1 September (autumn term)||15 August|
|1 September to 31 December||1 January (spring term)||15 December|
|1 January to 31 March||1 April (summer term)||15 March|
For more information on how to prepare for offering 30 hour free places - please see our resources section below.
Parents can get up to £2,000 per child, per year, towards their childcare costs or up to £4,000 for a child with a disability. Parents can apply for both 30 hours free childcare and Tax-Free childcare at the same time on the government's Childcare Choices website (external link).
In order for providers to receive Tax-Free childcare payments, they need to sign up with their User ID and Unique Tax Reference (UTR). These are the numbers that HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) gave providers when they first told HMRC that they were working for themselves. You can find your UTR on any HMRC communications, for example, your tax statement or payment reminder, or by logging onto your Personal Tax Account. If you can’t find your UTR number or User ID, HMRC can send these numbers to your address.
For more information, call the childcare service helpline on 0300 123 4097.
Local authority schools and maintained settings, including children's centres who provide childcare such as wrap around childcare, after school clubs and holiday schemes, are unlikely to have their own UTR, therefore can use their local authority's UTR and postcode to sign up - as per local authority guidance letter already provided.
To create an account - please go to the Childcare Support Tax Service website (external link).
For more information regarding Tax-Free childcare, please visit the GOV.UK website (external link).
If parents haven’t been able to complete their application and get their 30 hours free childcare code for technical reasons, they should call HMRC on 0300 123 4097.
The following resources are available to support providers. We have produced a detailed 30 Hours Toolkit document, which will help with the planning and implementation of the 30 hour offer, including a FAQs section for every day queries:
- Haringey Providers - 30 Hours Toolkit (PDF, 956KB)
- 30 hour eligibility code validation process (PDF, 143KB)
Other information available
- Parental Agreement Form October 2017 (PDF, 105KB)
- Supporting SEND in the Early Years (PDF, 531KB)
- Disability Access Fund (DAF) October 2017 (PDF, 183KB)
- Wraparound childcare – if you are including wraparound care for older children in your plans please use wraparound and holiday childcare: parents and childcare providers ‘right to request' guidance (external link), available on the GOV.UK website
Bulletins and memos
- Issue 14 - 3 July 2018 (PDF, 137KB)
- Issue 13 - 13 March 2018 (PDF, 72KB)
- Issue 12 - 9 February 2018 (PDF, 66KB)
Previous bulletins and memos
- Census Memo - 20 December 2017 (PDF, 26KB)
- Issue 11 - 19 December 2017 (PDF, 56.1KB)
- Issue 10 - October 2017 (PDF, 49KB)
- Issue 9 - 21 September 2017 (PDF, 228KB)
- Issue 8 - 31 July 2017 (PDF, 51KB)
- Issue 7 - 30 June 2017 (PDF, 54KB)
- Issue 6 - 29 May 2017 (PDF, 124KB)
- Issue 5 - 28 April 2017 (PDF, 500KB)
- Issue 4 - 29 March 2017 (PDF, 717KB)
- Universal Base Rate Memo - 8 March 2017 (PDF, 26KB)
- Issue 3 - 1 March 2017 (PDF, 146KB)
- Issue 2 - 31 January 2017 (PDF, 275KB)
- Issue 1 - 19 December 2016 (PDF, 503KB)
If you are not offering 30 hours free entitlement or do not have available places please refer parents to other local early years providers please see our list of free early education providers in Haringey for 3-4 year olds (PDF, 129KB).
Majority of settings attended one or more of the Providers Workshops and One to One Business Support Sessions that were offered. Please see below slides from some of these sessions.
- School Heads and Business Managers (PDF, 420KB), 1 March 2017
- Provider Consultation Events (PDF, 451KB), 3 - 4 February 2016
- NLC Workshops (PPT, 1.08MB), 29 -30 November 2016
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required