Update: Tottenham Green Pools and Fitness and Marcus Garvey Library and Customer Service Centre
Works are underway to fix an issue with the electricity supply which has caused the closure of Tottenham Green Pools and Fitness and Marcus Garvey Library and Customer Service Centre.
We are committed to keeping residents informed about our work to get the centre back up and running, and are providing the following update:
- Fusion Lifestyle has informed us that works are progressing smoothly to rectify the issue with the low voltage electricity network which supplies the library, customer service centre, gyms, studios, soft play and nursery, after specialist electrical contractors began on site last Monday (13 March).
- We are pleased that these works are on schedule and are awaiting further updates from Fusion and UK Power Networks on when they will be completed. Once low voltage power is restored, the equipment that has been inoperative (such as the lift, heating systems, fire alarm system etc) can be brought back into operation, replacing components where needed. Once we fully understand the equipment’s condition, we will be able to give residents a timeframe for getting these services back up and running.
- The pools will remain closed for the foreseeable future, however, due to the complexity of repairs required to the high voltage equipment on which they rely. While we are looking at every opportunity to get the pools back up and running as soon as possible, the complicated nature of the works required means that it will be several months before they are back in use.
- The damage to the electrical equipment has been caused by an ingress of foul water into the building’s below ground level plant room. We are working with Fusion to continue with investigations to locate the source of this leak.
- Our libraries service is currently in discussion with the College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London (CONEL) about opening up additional study spaces for students to use during the closure. We hope to have this in place in time for the school Easter holidays. This is in addition to the new study room at St Ann’s Library which was opened last Monday.
Cllr Sarah Williams, Cabinet Member for Finance and Local Investment, said:
“I am pleased that the works which began last week to fix the low voltage electricity issue are on track. I look forward to further updates from Fusion this week, and hope that we will soon have a timeframe for when we can welcome residents back to the library, customer service centre, gyms, studios, soft play and nursery.
“I share residents’ disappointment and frustration that the pools will remain closed for the foreseeable future. The repairs required are extremely complex, and the level of progress we would wish for is hampered by the challenge of locating the source of the foul water leak which has caused the outage. We continue to work with Fusion to push for these issues to be addressed as swiftly as possible so we can get this vital leisure facility back up and running for residents.”
How to access services during the closure:
For residents who need customer service support, we have increased capacity at Wood Green Customer Service Centre (187-197A High Road, Wood Green, N22 6XD) for the duration of the closure, while residents are also able to access customer services online or by phone on 020 8489 1000.
Marcus Garvey Library users can access library services at nearby St Ann’s Library (Cissbury Road, Tottenham, N15 5PU), which reopened on Monday 6 February following a closure for planned building works, as well as at Coombes Croft Library (High Road, Tottenham, N17 8AG) or online.
Books and other items borrowed from Marcus Garvey Library can be returned to any council-run library in Haringey (find a full list of our libraries by following this link).
Tottenham Green Leisure Centre members can use New River Sport and Fitness (White Hart Lane, N22 5QW), Park Road Pools and Fitness (Park Road, Hornsey, N8 8JN) or other Fusion Lifestyle centres, including those in Enfield. Follow this link for a full list of Fusion Lifestyle centres in north London.
Tell us what you think about this page
Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please click the button below.