Update on events being staged at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
Cllr Sarah Williams, Cabinet Member for Housing Services, Private Renters and Planning, has issued a statement on future events taking place at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium,
“Welcoming global superstars attracts thousands of music fans and brings benefits to our local communities, but there are also impacts on our residents that need to be considered too. We have been clear the planning process must be followed and that we will advise and work with the football club to resolve any issues.
“In April, the council received a new planning application from Tottenham Hotspur regarding the type of major events at the stadium. Encouraged by us, Tottenham undertook community engagement including meetings with residents and businesses. The council has also received a number of comments from local people.
“Having carefully considered all representations, as well as assessing the application in accordance with planning law and policy and the effect this will have on residents and the local economic benefits, planning permission has been granted for Tottenham to extend the number of music concerts in 2023. The overall cap of 16 major non-football events per year remains.
“The council has ensured that permission comes with several commitments, in particular Tottenham limiting the number of concerts in any one week to three, to reduce the impact that a high number of major events in a short space of time have on the local community. We have also secured assurances to ensure that the benefits of major events are maximised and the negative impacts on residents are minimised.
“This decision is only for this year. We will continue to carefully monitor all major events and there will be further opportunities for residents to engage regarding events at the stadium with the council – this is an ongoing process.”
- The original planning permission for the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium includes a condition that there are no more than 16 major non-football events and no more than 6 music concerts per annum.
- The announced music concerts for the Stadium so far this year are: Beyonce on 29 May, 30 May, 1 June, 3 June, 4 June, Red Hot Chili Peppers on 21 July and Wizkid on 29 July. The latter concert brought the total this year to 7 music concerts which is above the limit of 6 set out in the original planning permission condition. The limit has now been removed for 2023 only and Tottenham can have more than 6 concerts within the limit of 16 major non-football events.
- Tottenham Hotspur Football Club submitted a planning application to the Council in April to amend the condition to remove the limit on music concerts for 2023 only, but keep the limit of 16 major non-football events, which music concerts would fall within.
The Council has ensured that the planning permission secures certain commitments, in particular:
- Limiting the number of concerts in any one week to three, to reduce the impact that a high number of major events in a short space of time could have on the local community
- Spurs has made a range of commitments to ensure the benefits of major events are maximised and the negative impacts on residents are minimised.
Tell us what you think about this page
Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please click the button below.