Accessibility statement for the Veolia Waste Collections microsite
- How accessible this website is
- Feedback and contact information
- Technical information about the accessibility of this website
- What we’re doing to improve accessibility
- Preparation of this accessibility statement
This accessibility statement applies to wastecollections.haringey.gov.uk being launched in January 2023.
This website is managed by Veolia on behalf of Haringey Council. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts using browser functionality
- zoom in up to 400% without horizontal scrolling
- navigate the website using just a keyboard
- navigate the website using speech recognition software
- interact fully with the website using a screen reader (including the recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use (external link) if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
The website is only partially accessible at present.
There are a number of known accessibility issues with the site (see non-compliance list below). Veolia are aware of these and working through them as quickly as possible. As issues are fixed and released we will update this statement. We are aiming to have addressed all issues by the end of February 2023.
In the meantime if anyone has an issue using this service please contact the Veolia Contact Centre directly at email@example.com or 020 8885 7700.
Feedback and contact information
If you have any problems using this site then please contact the Veolia Contact Centre at firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 8885 7700.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact email@example.com
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS) (external link).
Technical information about the accessibility of this website
Veolia and Haringey Council are committed to making this site accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 (external link) AA standard, due to the following ‘the non-compliances’ listed below.
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
1.3.1 Info and relationships
- Radio selects not grouped in fieldset.
- Breadcrumb not marked up as list.
- The heading structure used doesn't reflect the visual presentation or presented structure of the page.
- The heading structure for the address used doesn't reflect the visual presentation.
- Payment information (total amount) needs a header for correct structure.
- The results page of a bulky request has a list of information regarding the request. this information is not marked up as a list.
- Table used for mixed purpose.
1.3.1 Info and relationships/4.1.2 Name, Role, Value
- Button is marked up with a combination of button and anchor element.
1.3.5 identify input purpose
- Fields that require personal information from the visitor should have autocomplete attributes set on them that match with the type of information requested.
1.4.1 Use of colour
- Red dot indicating collection state. there is no text information to clarify this status.
- Zooming in causes problems with reflowing content.
1.4.11 Non-text contrast
- The bin service page is a green status indicator. The colour contrast of this indicator on the grey background does not meet the minimum 3:1 contrast ratio.
- The close button for the date selection modals does not meet contrast ratios.
1.4.12 Text spacing
- When text spacing is applied some issues occur - text runs outside buttons and becomes unreadable.
1.4.3 Contrast (minimum)
- Text contrast does not meet minimum requirements in all pages e.g. when hovering over the property search results.
- Expandable toggles are not keyboard accessible. Trigger sits on an event listener for the heading.
- Terms and conditions link is not keyboard accessible.
2.2.1 Timing adjustable
- HTML5 error messages only show up for a short period of time, after which they disappear.
2.4.2 Page title
- Several pages have the same title.
2.4.3 Focus order
- On adding another container the focus remains on the button and the new content is placed prior to this location in the DOM.
2.4.6 Headings and labels
- Button purpose unclear
2.5.3 Label in name/4.1.2 Name, Role, Value
- Button for "Collection feedback" is not marked up correctly and has no accessible name.
3.3.3 Error suggestions
- Error messages should be as clear as possible and help the user resolve the problem. If validation fails the reason is often known.
4.1.2 Name, Role Value
- Adding a secondary bulky collection triggers a modal with an initial question. Because of the change in functionality the link should now be a button and have the aria-expanded state.
- Fieldset used without a legend for the postcode lookup search.
- Breadcrumb not marked up as navigation.
- Current page is not marked in breadcrumb.
- Toggleable components is not marked up to convey its function.
- Modal container role is incorrectly set to document.
4.1.3 Status messages
- When performing a search on the main search box a loading spinner is shown but the user does not hear a notification of any action.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
We are working to resolve all outstanding issues by the end of February 2023.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was first prepared on 27 January 2023.
The statement was prepared following a manual WCAG 2.1 accessibility audit of a representative cross-selection of pages by Nomensa (external link).
Initial tests were carried out in January 2023.
Next full review date January 2025.
Useful external links
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.
* = response required
Find my nearest
Visit My Haringey to get information about your property and local area including council tax bands, parking zones, planning applications and much more.