Equipment and adaptations

Occupational Therapy

What does an Occupational Therapist do?

The Occupational Therapy Service helps people who have physical disabilities to live as independently as possible and helps their carers and families to care for them safely. The Occupational Therapist works with you to identify how your disability is affecting your ability to carry out daily tasks such as getting on and off the toilet or getting up and down the stairs.

How can we help you?

Occupational Therapy follows the Government Personalisation Approach. Following an assessment, we will discuss the options with you giving you choice and control over the services you receive.

We can offer information and advice regarding alternative ways of carrying out activities independently. If your needs can be met with simple equipment and minor adaptations, these can usually be prescribed. If necessary, we can recommend major adaptations for your home.

Visit the Assessing your social care needs page to request an assessment, including an Occupational Therapy Assessment

Find out more about the Government Personalisation Agenda (external link).

Back to top


A simple aid is a piece of equipment that helps an individual manage everyday tasks at home, such as eating, getting out of bed or visiting the toilet, which will increase their independence.

Examples of simple aids include bath seats to help with getting in and out of the bath and raised toilet seats to assist those with restricted mobility.

If you or someone you care for needs a simple aid to help with daily tasks, the Occupational Therapist will arrange the provision of the necessary equipment. The equipment will be provided by NRS Healthcare.

If you have equipment on loan from us, such as pressure mattresses and hoists, and have any problems with the equipment or no longer need it, contact NRS Healthcare:

Back to top

Minor adaptations

Examples: Grab rail, stair rail, chair raise, step alterations.

Installation of minor adaptations is dependent on ownership of your property. Haringey Council undertakes work for council and owner-occupied properties. If you live in privately rented accommodation, we require your landlord's permission before we are able to install rails or other minor adaptations. Housing Associations usually undertake minor adaptations for their tenants based on our recommendations.

Back to top

Major adaptations

Examples: Stairlift, ramp for a wheelchair, level access shower.

Occupational Therapy staff will recommend major adaptations if it is necessary and appropriate to meet the needs of a person who has a permanent disability and has a substantial/critical need. The recommendation has to be approved by a panel of senior managers.

Once an adaptation has been agreed, the process of arranging for the adaptations to be carried out will depend upon who owns your home. If you are either the owner or a tenant of your property you can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) towards the adaptations.

The Surveyors will find builders, obtain estimates and supervise the adaptation to your home. The Financial Assessment Officers arrange for grant assistance, when relevant, and will help you complete the necessary forms.

Back to top

Help with Hearing and Sight Loss

The Sensory Impairment Team work with people with hearing loss and sight loss across the borough and can carry out an assessment to identify the help you may need. Sensory staff can also provide training to help you find solutions to the everyday problems that arise and give information about the equipment available.

If you are eligible to receive simple equipment, it may be provided to you by Haringey Equipment Service. The officer who carried out the assessment will tell you how you can get the equipment.

Back to top

Who can get help?

These services are available to Haringey residents who are in at least one of the following categories:

  • have a disability
  • are elderly
  • have a long-term or terminal illness which causes you to have difficulties coping with daily living tasks

Visit Haricare, our adult care directory, to find out about other services available for Haringey residents.

Back to top

How to get help

You can contact the First Response Team directly, or you may be referred by a family member, friend or health care staff.

All the referrals are processed by the First Response Team who will assess your requirements. Their response to you depends on the urgency of your needs. The assessment will be done through a home visit.

How to contact the First Response Team

Back to top


Page last updated:

October 3, 2023