Visual Impairment Support

Eye Tests

It is important everyone has regular eye tests, especially if you have concerns about your eyes. You can find a local optician on the NHS website (external link).

If you are unable to travel to an optician, it is possible to request an eye test at home. Housing Care has provided a list of opticians that offer Home Eye tests (external link)

Back to top

Blindness and Visual Impairment Support

Experiencing a sight loss can result in every day tasks such as cooking, reading, going out and working, becoming quite difficult. The Visual Impairment Service assesses the needs of people with a long term or permanent visual impairment, or who have a dual sensory loss (both a sight loss and a hearing loss). Following the assessment of needs the following services may be provided:

  • Loan or advice about equipment
  • adaptations
  • mobility training
  • independent living skills training
  • advice on a range of specialist services for visually impaired people

The team manages registration of visual impairment. You must be certified by an ophthalmologist, usually at a hospital. They will send a form to us so we can register you.

To request further help or advice, please contact:

First Response Team
2nd Floor River Park House
225 High Road
Wood Green
N22 8HQ

Tel: 020 8489 1400
Opening hours: 9am-5pm Monday to Friday

Back to top

Haringey Phoenix Group

(for blind and partially sighted people)

A registered charity core-funded by Haringey Council providing activities, services, support and information for blind and partially sighted people in Haringey and the surrounding areas.

Contact details:
Winkfield Resource Centre
33 Winkfield Road
Wood Green
N22 5RP
Tel 020 8889 7070
Fax 020 8489 8230
Minicom 020 8365 7935
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

Back to top

Attention: driving licence holders

In accordance with the advice shown on the driving licence, any driver with impaired vision should inform the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), who will consider each case on an individual basis.

Contact the DVLA on Tel No: 0870 600 0301.

If you have difficulties in relation to these matters, you can contact:

Back to top


Page last updated:

September 20, 2021