History of Finsbury Park
For over 250 years the site of Finsbury Park has entertained Londoners. Originally there was just a teahouse next to a wood, then a tavern.
In 1869, after nearly 30 years of debate and local pressure, it finally become a park - the 'People’s Park'.
The octagonal wild-fowl house is built on the island which is designed as a bird sanctuary and an additional storey to the Lodge was approved.
Gates installed to the entrance of the park.
Large mowing machine bought and 25,000 plants distributed.
Erection of gymnasium and water closets.
Bands started to ask for permission to play in the park.
Ladies cloakroom approved.
London County Council took over the running of the park.
Finsbury Park ranked as a first-class park. In the same year it is reported that an elephant named Jim had become loose from its keeper and escaped into the park causing damage to the bandstand.
Piccadilly Line opened with tracks running right under the park.
The London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Sir Adrian Boult performed at the Finsbury Park Theatre.
The Friends of Finsbury Park was formed.
The first Fleadh music festival took place.
Finsbury Park underwent a £5 million Heritage Lottery Funded restoration and improvement programme.
In recognition of the restoration and improvement programme, Finsbury Park was awarded the prestigious Green Flag Award in 2007.
The information above has been sourced from the 'A Park of Finsbury' publication, complied by Hugh Hayes.