Paying your rent
As a rule, your rent and other charges must be paid every week, one week in advance, unless you have an agreement to pay monthly. You can pay your rent in a number of different ways.
Paying your rent by Direct Debit is easy and convenient. If you sign to pay your rent by Direct Debit we make a one-off payment of £10 into your rent account. Paying by Direct Debit has many advantages:
- You don’t have to remember to pay every month.
- You don’t have to worry about overlooking a payment if you are ill or on holiday.
- Your payment will be automatically recalculated if anything changes in your account. For example, if your housing benefit entitlement changes, you will be informed 14 days before anything changes.
- We will update your Direct Debit every year and let you know if anything changes.
If you are a new tenant you will receive a Direct Debit mandate form when you sign up for your tenancy.
If you are already a tenant, you can:
- download a Housing Rent Direct Debit form (PDF, 500KB), complete it and return it to us
- phone our rent accounts team on 020 8489 5611 to set up a Direct Debit over the phone
- pick up a Direct Debit form from your local customer service centre.
We will calculate your monthly rent instalments, request payment from your bank or building society, and tell you the amount in advance.
Debit or credit card
There is no charge to pay by direct debit or credit card. Please note we don't accept American Express.
You can pay your housing rent online using a debit or credit card. Visit our online payments page and click the link that matches your rent account number.
Pay by phone
You can also pay by calling Haringey Council's automated telephone payment service on 0300 456 0520 (see our call charges).
- More about the automated telephone payment service.
You will need a touch-tone telephone to use this service. Make sure you have your 15-digit rent account number to hand. Note: you can't pay using this method if your rent account starts with a '6'
You can also call our Haringey Automated Line on 020 8489 1000 (open 24 hours a day).
Housing rent and charges card
When you sign a tenancy agreement with us, you will automatically receive a housing rent and charges card. This is an easy and safe way for you to pay your rent, or for a carer, relative or friend to do it for you.
You can use the card at any outlets displaying the Paypoint logo or at the post office. If your card is lost, damaged or stolen, please contact our Rent Accounts team on 020 8489 5611.
Pay your rent by text
Register online at textpay (external link) to get your password.
Text the word ‘pay’, the amount of rent or service charge you want to pay, and your password to 81025.
Other ways to pay
You can request to pay by standing order by contacting our Rent Accounts team on 020 8489 5611. Please note, however, that Direct Debit is a better way to pay than by standing order because payments will be for the right amount, and your bank guarantees to refund any incorrect payments.
By deduction from your wages or salary
If you are a council tenant and you work for Haringey Council or Homes for Haringey, you can have your rent deducted from your wages and paid directly to Homes for Haringey. If you would like to do this, please contact our Income Collection team on 020 8489 5611 or email them at: email@example.com.