Due to essential system maintenance, our Council Tax, Benefits and Landlord portals will be unavailable from Thursday 30 March, 10pm to Monday 3 April, 8am. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Benefits information for landlords

Who can claim Housing Benefit

Most people who need help with housing payments must apply for Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit. Find out who can claim Housing Benefit

Back to top

Universal Credit 

See Information on Universal Credit for landlords at GOV.UK (external link)

There’s also a quarterly Universal Credit landlord newsletter (external link)

Back to top

Tenant in financial difficulty 

If the amount of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing payment doesn’t cover the rent, the tenant must pay the difference. If your tenant is in financial hardship, they may be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment.  

Back to top

Landlord Portal 

Our Landlord Portal is for landlords who receive payments on behalf of their tenant of: 

  • Housing Benefit 
  • Discretionary Housing Payments

How to access the Portal 

You can only view information on the portal: 

  • about payments paid directly to you, not the tenant 
  • about payments made to you in the last 5 years 
  • if you have a landlord ID and receive direct payments from us 

What you can do in the Portal 

If you receive direct payments from us, you can use the Landlord Portal to: 

  • view, print and export details about your claims 
  • view, print and export details about your payments 
  • view, print and export details about weekly entitlements 
  • view overpayment and recovery rate amounts 
  • view and print online letters 
  • tell us about changes 
  • upload documents 

Login to the Landlord Portal

Request access to the Landlord Portal

You can request access to the Landlord Portal.

Once you request access, we’ll send you an activation email to finish your registration.

If you need to contact us before then use our enquiry e-form.

Back to top

Contact us 

Use the Housing Benefit enquiry e-form to contact us: 

  • for Housing Benefit information you cannot get from the Landlord Portal 
  • to tell us about changes that affect Housing Benefit payments such as: 
  • a change in your bank details 
  • a change in your contact details 
  • to tell us your tenant has moved out 
  • to tell us your tenant is in arrears with their rent 
  • to tell us about eviction or repossession proceedings 

Make a landlord Housing Benefit enquiry

Back to top

Useful links 

Back to top


Page last updated:

December 12, 2022

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)