Help with Online Payments
- Your payment account and 'My Account'
- Benefits of registering a payment account
- Payment declined and processing issues
- Account reference numbers
- Forgotten password
- Your safety and security
- Cards accepted
- PayPal payments
- 3D Secure
- User guides
- Who to contact
My Account is different to the online payment account portal. My Account is a separate account used for Council Tax payments, benefits and other council services. It is not currently possible to sign on from My Account to the online payment account.
If you register your details on our eStore payment system it will save you time as you won't need to keep on entering your personal details each time you make a payment. You will also be able to:
- see your complete payment history
- print or reprint receipts
- register your card details or pay by PayPal
- get customer messages and updates
- save your favourite regular transactions to your home page for quick easy access
- use a new Find Address Picker – simply enter your Post Code and select your address from the returned list
- access additional functionality to be implemented in the future, including new payment options, such as Fixed Penalty Notices
- use the improved streamlined checkout process
There are several reasons why a payment could be declined. Your bank may decline the payment, there could be a delay in the response from the bank acquirer, or maybe there is a technical issue.
What you should do if your payment is declined, you experience processing issues whereby there is no payment confirmation, or you receive an error message:
- Do not refresh your browser while the transaction is being processed
- Do not use the browser back arrow as this may result in an additional transaction
- If you are signed in to our Payment Portal to make a payment, check your Payment History first to confirm if the payment has completed
- Do not make a further payment attempt until you have contacted your bank to confirm if the payment has been authorised
You can also contact Haringey Customer Services who can also check whether the payment was taken or why it failed.
To make a payment you will be asked to enter an account reference number. These are as follows:
- Council Tax: This is a 7 or 11-digit number displayed on your council tax bill and referred to as your Account number.
- Business Rates (Non Domestic Rates): This is a 9-digit number for business properties.
- Housing Rent: You must use the 15-digit number found on your rent book (e.g. 000896530031016). Payments can be made for Council tenancies, all temporary accommodation, garages and court costs.
- Housing Benefit Overpayment: This is a 10-digit number beginning with “7” and refers specifically to your invoice.
- Commercial Rent Invoice: This is a 10-digit reference that begins with "115"
- Haringey Invoice: This is a 10-digit number always beginning with “18”, and refers specifically to your invoice, not any account number you may have.
- Haringey Reminder Notice: This is an 11-digit number always beginning with “08”. Payments made against reminder notices will automatically be assigned to the invoices the reminder related to.
Please double-check that you have entered the number fully and correctly.
There is a 'Forgotten Password' link on the login screen. If you cannot remember your password, enter your email address then click the link, it will take you through a simple password reset process.
Simply enter your date of birth and the secret question and answer you initially registered with and follow the email link to reset.
If you cannot see the password reset email in your inbox after five minutes, it is worth checking your junk/spam email folders in case the email is in there.
See the following document for more help:
The new customer payment portal employs a greater level of encryption to meet the latest Payment Card Industry (PCI) requirements mandated by the major card operators Mastercard, Visa, American Express and several others. All cardholder data is encrypted to the highest levels and is not held anywhere in Haringey’s network.
We can accept payments made with the following debit or credit cards:
- Mastercard Debit
- Mastercard Credit
- Visa Credit
- Visa Debit (formerly Delta)
- Visa Electron
Note we do not accept American Express cards.
You can now use PayPal to make payments online.
When making an online payment you will be asked for an additional security password by a system known as 3D secure. This is to protect against fraudulent card payments. You must say 'yes' and 'Activate' when asked if you wish to use this system, otherwise your payment will be rejected. We apologise for this, but it is a requirement of the payment card industry, not Haringey Council. See our security standards page for more information.
Update on 3D Secure 2
3D Secure 2 or 3DS2 as it is also known is now due to be implemented by 14 September 2021. 3DS2 replaces 3D Secure and adds an extra layer of identity confirmation before the customer pays. This ensures that transactions meet Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) making online payments more secure for customers and reducing fraud.
What 3D Secure 2 means for customers
3DS2 requires 2 factor authentication, and will ask customers for 2 out of 3 pieces of information to complete their transaction:
- Something the customer is - for example their fingerprint
- Something the customer has - for example their phone
- Something the customer knows - for example a password
Transactions processed through digital wallets (such as Apple Pay or Google Pay) meet the 2 factor authentication requirements.
If you require further help using the system please see the illustrated user guides below
- What can I do via my eStore payment account (PDF, 454KB)
- Register your payment account (PDF, 185KB)
- Register your card details (PDF, 282KB)
- Login and make a payment (PDF, 727KB)
- Make a payment without registering (PDF, 339KB)
- Password reset (PDF, 97KB)
If you have any complaints or issues regarding the eStore payment system registration or payment processes, please email us at PCIComplianceandEfirstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to answer your questions or address any concerns. Please note: this email address is not for parking-related issues or payments. If your query relates to a parking ticket (PCN) or permit then please visit the parking pages for more advice.
If your issue is urgent then please contact Customer Services on 020 8489 1000.
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required