Haringey Council Complaints Procedure
- See also the separate complaint procedures for Adults Social Care, Children’s Social Care and Homes for Haringey.
Our corporate complaints procedure has two stages. When you contact us, we will review the details and deal with your issue in the most effective way.
If this is something you are bringing to our attention for the first time we may deal with this as a service request, such as initial reports of missed bin collections and fly tipping. These should be reported directly to our waste partner Veolia by email: firstname.lastname@example.org - otherwise, we will action your issue as a complaint.
We will contact you within two working days to let you know how we are dealing with your correspondence.
If you are providing feedback on behalf of someone else, we first require their consent. Please ask the person on whose behalf you are complaining to complete the Consent form (DOC, 53KB). Once completed this should be uploaded on to the below feedback form.
Stage 1 - Service investigation
On receiving your stage one complaint:
- we will acknowledge your complaint within two working days
- we will send you a full reply within 10 working days
If we need more time we will let you know and give you a new date for our response.
If you would like to make a complaint please visit our Make a Complaint page.
Alternatively, please use our Report it section.
Stage 2 - Independent review
You can ask the Corporate Feedback Team (CFT) to review your complaint. You will need to explain why you are dissatisfied with the stage one response and explain the outcomes you are seeking on these points. Their contact details will be included in the Service Investigation response.
The CFT are independent of all service departments and Homes for Haringey (external link). Their investigations are impartial and carried out on behalf of the Chief Executive. They will try to resolve the matter and may investigate further. The team will:
- acknowledge your request to escalate your complaint within two working days
- reply to you in writing within 25 working days
- signpost you to the appropriate Ombudsman should you wish to escalate the matter further
If more time is needed to investigate your complaint, the Corporate Feedback Officer will let you know and give you a new date for their response.
Some common complaints have statutory/independent processes that need to be followed. Before submitting a complaint please ensure that none of the alternative complaints procedures listed below are applicable to your case.
In some cases, other complaints procedures may apply, or we may need to refer you to a tribunal. These include complaints about:
- Adults Social Care Complaints - The law states what we must do with adult social care complaints
- Children’s Social Care Complaints - We offer a free independent advocacy service carried out by Barnardo's to help young people who wish to complain about social care services
- Homes for Haringey Complaint - Give feedback to Homes for Haringey
- entitlement to Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction
- Appealing a parking fine (Penalty Charge Notice)
- Appealing a planning decision
- something covered by a statutory process such as an appeal or tribunal