Challenge a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)
- Do not pay the PCN if you plan to challenge the PCN (unless your vehicle has been removed - in which case you will need to pay the car pound for the release of your vehicle and then challenge the PCN)
- Please view the evidence before making a challenge. How you make that challenge depends on what type of PCN you have received
- You will need an email address to log a challenge online. Please be sure to provide evidence to support your challenge
- The online form will time out after approximately 20 minutes so to prevent this you should prepare the text of any challenge in a document and then cut and paste the text directly into the form
You can challenge the PCN if you are the driver or registered keeper. If you do this within 14 days of receiving the notice, we will put the case on hold until we make a decision. Should your challenge be unsuccessful we will allow you to pay the reduced amount within 14 days of receiving the decision.
Confirmation of receipt
Please note you will not get a confirmation email once you have submitted your challenge – do not worry about this. If you see the ‘Challenge complete’ confirmation details screen including the Challenge Reference Number (see example below) that means we have received your challenge:
- Make a note of the reference number beginning with ‘TF’ (you could take a screen shot or print the confirmation details screen) as you will need this if you decide to contact us later.
What happens next
Please visit the London Tribunals website for more information on the Penalty Charge Notice enforcement process (external link)
- See also checking the progress of a challenge
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required