Changing the text size in your browser
Most popular web browsers feature a tool on the menu bar which lets you change the size of text on the webpages you are visiting. With this tool you can resize text on screen to a level you feel comfortable with. Where to find this tool differs slightly between browsers. You can also usually use the keyboard to increase or decrease text size quickly:
- Ctrl key and the + (plus) key to increase text on Windows PC
- Cmd key and the + (plus) key to increase text on a Mac
- Ctrl key and the - (minus) key to decrease text on Windows PC
- Cmd key and the - (minus) key to decrease text on a Mac
Please follow the guides below for your browser.
Please note that text size cannot be changed on some websites.
Instructions for different browsers
- Click the Chrome menu (3 horizontal lines) on the browser toolbar
- Select Settings
- Click Show advanced settings
- In the Web Content section, use the Font size drop-down menu to make adjustments.
- From the Safari menu, select Preferences.
- Click Appearance.
- To change the standard font or fixed-width font used in pages, click the appropriate Select button.
- Change the font size using the slider bar.
- From the Firefox Menu Bar select View>Text Size>Increase.
- This will cause the text to display on the web page one size larger. However this is a temporary change.
To make a permanent font size change:
- From the Firefox Menu Bar, select Tools>Options.
- Click on General.
- Click on Fonts and Colours.
- Set the font sizes. Minimum font size can also be set.
- From the Menu Bar, select View.
- Scroll to Text Size and choose your preference.
The Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) website (see external links section below) includes more detailed advice, including screenshots, of how to change font size, as well as layout and style of pages.
My Web My Way is the BBC's comprehensive guide to making the web easier to use. The website explains the many ways you can change your browser, computer, keyboard and mouse settings to make the web more accessible for you. The links below offer comprehensive advice to Windows, Mac and Linux users on how to:
- change font sizes (including keyboard shortcuts)
- modify the colours on the screen
- make your keyboard and mouse easier to use
- magnify the screen
- fill in forms
- listen to websites
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required