- System maintenance: We are undertaking some IT maintenance work this weekend (20 and 21 January) which may affect some of our e-forms and websites. If you encounter a problem please try again 30 minutes later. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Help with Online Payments
- Your payment account and 'My Account'
- Benefits of registering a payment account
- Payment declined problem
- Account reference numbers
- Forgotten password
- Your safety and security
- Cards accepted
- PayPal payments
- 3D Secure
- User guides
- Who to contact
My Account is different to the online payment account portal. My Account is a separate account used for Council Tax payments, benefits and other council services. It is not currently possible to sign on from My Account to the online payment account.
If you register your details on the payment system it will save you time as you won't need to keep oin entering your personal details each time you make a payment. You will also be able to:
- see your complete payment history
- print or reprint receipts
- register your card details
- get customer messages and updates
- access additional functionality to be implemented in the future – such as recurring card payments
There are several reasons why a payment could be declined. Your bank may decline the payment, there could be a delay in response from the bank acquirer, or maybe there is a technical issue.
If your payment is declined do not make a further attempt until you have contacted your bank who can confirm if the payment has been authorised.
You can also contact Haringey Customer Services who can also check whether the payment was taken or why it failed.
To make a payment you will be asked to enter an account reference number. These are as follows:
- Council Tax: This is a 7 or 11-digit number displayed on your council tax bill and referred to as your Account number.
- Business Rates (Non Domestic Rates): This is a 9-digit number for business properties.
- Housing Rent: You must use the 15-digit number found on your rent book (e.g. 000896530031016). Payments can be made for Council tenancies, all temporary accommodation, garages and court costs.
- Housing Benefit Overpayment: This is a 10-digit number beginning with “7” and refers specifically to your invoice.
- Commercial Rent Invoice: This is a 10-digit reference that begins with "115"
- Haringey Invoice: This is a 10-digit number always beginning with “18”, and refers specifically to your invoice, not any account number you may have.
- Haringey Reminder Notice: This is an 11-digit number always beginning with “08”. Payments made against reminder notices will automatically be assigned to the invoices the reminder related to.
Please double-check that you have entered the number fully and correctly.
There is a 'Forgotten Password' button on the login screen. If you click the button it will take you through a simple password reset process.
Simply enter you email address, date of birth and the secret question and answer you initially registered with and follow the email link to reset.
If you cannot see the password reset email in your inbox after five minutes, it is worth checking your junk/spam email folders in case the email is in there.
See the following document for more help:
The new customer payment portal employs a greater level of encryption to meet the latest Payment Card Industry (PCI) requirements mandated by the major card operators Mastercard, Visa, American Express and several others. All cardholder data is encrypted to the highest levels and is not held anywhere in Haringey’s network.
We can accept payments made with the following debit or credit cards:
- Mastercard Debit
- Mastercard Credit
- Visa Credit
- Visa Debit (formerly Delta)
- Visa Electron
Note we do not accept American Express cards.
PayPal payments are due to be implemented in the next few weeks and we will communicate this once it’s live.
When making an online payment you will be asked for an additional security password by a system known as 3D secure. This is to protect against fraudulent card payments. You must say 'yes' and 'Activate' when asked if you wish to use this system, otherwise your payment will be rejected. We apologise for this, but it is a requirement of the payment card industry, not Haringey Council. See security standards for more information.
If you require further help using the system please see the illustrated user guides below
- Register your payment account (PDF, 185KB)
- Register your card details (PDF, 282KB)
- Login and make a payment (PDF, 404KB)
- Make a payment without registering (PDF, 339KB)
- Password reset (PDF, 97KB)
If you have any complaints or issues regarding the registration or payment processes, please email us at PCIComplianceandEemail@example.com and we will try to answer your questions or address any concerns.
If your issue is urgent then please contact Customer Services on 020 8489 1000.
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.