Year 11 Planner
This handy planner is useful to guide you through your final GCSE year:
- Start to formulate a plan for after Year 11
- The National Careers Service website (external link) has impartial information
- Speak to a Careers Adviser if you have one in school
- Get advice from teachers and family
- Revise for your mock exams - these grades are important when applying for courses
- Start to do some online research about what you might like to do after 16
- Sit your mock exams
- Use the Christmas break to further research your next steps
- Order some prospectus’ of places that interest you
- Start to attend open evenings of places you have short listed
- If interested in an Apprenticeship, try and speak to a careers adviser and open an account on the Apprenticeships website (external link)
- Continue to attend open events
- Start to complete application forms for colleges or training places
- Ensure you have back up plan too (apply for more than one place)
- Try to ensure that application forms have been returned by the deadline which is usually around Easter (this is sometimes earlier though, so check)
- Update your CV
- Attend any interviews that you are invited to. Try and reschedule any you can’t attend
- Open a bank account as you may need one soon
- Your GCSE exams will start this month so make sure you revise and are fully prepared
- You will have more GCSE exams this month
- Perhaps start to look at getting a part-time job or or gaining experience through voluntary work over the summer
July / August
- Summer Holidays: perhaps get involved in local activities, get a part time job or do some volunteering
- Remember to pick up your GCSE results from school on results day!
- End August/September: ensure you enrol on your chosen course
- Seek help immediately if your plans fall through (0800 100 900 National Careers Service)
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.