Search form

You are here


Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005

Fireworks must not be kept for sale unless the premises have been registered with the Council.

Registration will allow you to sell fireworks during certain times of year only  - these are:

  • from 15 October to 10 November inclusive;
  • on the day of Diwali and the three days before;
  • on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days before;
  • from 26 to 31 December inclusive.

If you wish to sell fireworks all through the year you will need to apply for a separate ‘fireworks licence’ which costs £500. To apply for this licence, please contact the Trading Standards team on

You may need to check with the Council's Planning department to make sure that the current planning permission allows you to keep fireworks on the premises.

How to apply

Please download the guidance notes and application form from the attached files section at the bottom of this page.

The fees are:

  • £105 for a new registration
  • £52 for a renewal
  • £34 Additional Payment for Varying, transferring or replacing the licence

All registrations are renewable from 1 October each year, expiring on 30 September the following year.

Storing other explosives

The law governing the storage of explosives such as those contained in some cartridges (e.g. for nail guns), flares and in airbags has changed. The law now says that if you store no more than 5 kilograms of explosives (this is the weight of the actual powder, etc. itself) you will no longer need to register with us.

If you decide to keep more than that, however, you will still need to be registered with us. If you think you may need to register, please contact the Trading Standards team for further advice.


Trading Standards
Level 6 Alexandra House
10 Station Road
Wood Green
N22 7TR

Tel 020 8489 1335

Attached files

Page Last Updated:

6 May 2015

How can we improve this page?

Please let us know if this page helped you find what you were looking for by answering the question below – you can also leave a comment for us. Please keep your comments relevant to this page.
Please note: all comments about web pages are reviewed by us once a week. All service requests need to be sent to Customer Services directly.

Tell us what you think of this page - please remember to leave your contact details if you would like a response:

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.