Haringey Business pages

Council Tax scams warning: fraudsters pretending to be from the council, Valuation Office Agency and GOV.UK are calling, texting and emailing people. If you are asked for your bank details, told to pay a fee or sent a link to claim a refund it is probably a scam. We will not ask you to pay a fee for a refund, or for your bank details.

About Business Rates

What are business rates?

Business rate is a tax on business properties that helps to pay for the borough's services. It is also called the National Non-Domestic Rate.

Business rates are payable by the occupier of a non-domestic property. This is normally the owner/occupier or the leaseholder of the property.

A tenant or leaseholder remains liable to pay business rates if the property is empty. See our empty business premises page for more information.

Back to top


How your business rates are worked out

Your bill is calculated by multiplying the rateable value of the property by the rate multiplier or ‘poundage’, which the Government sets from the 1 April each year.

There are two multipliers:

  • the small business multiplier for 2019/20 has been sent at 49.1p in the pound for occupied properties which have a rateable value below £51,000
  • the multiplier has been set at 50.4p in the pound for empty properties and properties with a rateable value above £51,000 (this multiplier includes a supplement to pay for small business rate relief)

The amount your bill may increase or decrease by each year is limited by the transitional scheme set by the Government following the last general revaluation that took effect from 1 April 2017. This is worked out automatically and will show on your bill.

For details of the multipliers for previous years see our business rate multipliers page.

Back to top


Government Explanatory notes

Further information about business rates is detailed in the annual Government Explanatory notes (PDF, 61KB).

Back to top


Business rates devolution

Since 1 April 2018, all 33 London local authorities and the Greater London Authority derive a greater proportion of their funding from business rates raised locally. London councils no longer receive Revenue Support Grant, the main grant distributed to English local authorities by the government.

This change will maintain the council’s expected revenue, while enabling the council to retain a greater proportion of the growth in Haringey’s business rates revenue. Haringey will retain 60% of growth in business rates paid by local businesses, with the remaining 40% going to the GLA to fund London-wide projects.

What does this mean for my business?

There will be no practical change to the way business rates are collected – the council will remain responsible for collecting rates by 1 April each year. Central Government also retains the power to set the rateable value of your business premises.

The change is an opportunity for the council and businesses to work together and invest more of your business rates in local economic growth, business priorities and communities. A growing, successful business community with a skilled local workforce will mean more money in the long-term to invest in local services and infrastructure for residents and businesses.

Where can I find out more?

Back to top


Business Contacts / Get Involved

Contact us / Get involved

Visit the contact page for more information on how to contact the council, get involved in local community activities and to tell us what you think of our services.

Page Last Updated:

5 June 2019

Give us feedback about this page

Please note if you have a service issue you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

* = response required

Please note this form is not for general service requests or issues. It's quicker for you if those comments are sent directly to Customer Services.

How easy was it to get the help you wanted

Would you like to provide any further comments about your visit today?

Additional comment?

Do you wish to report a problem with a council service?

Service comment

It's quicker if you report any service issues using our online self-service pages (opens in new window).

Tell us about your experience of using the website below:

Please note this form is not for general service requests or reporting issues with a service. It's quicker for you if those comments are sent directly to Customer Services.