Tenancy Fraud in Haringey
What is tenancy fraud?
Tenancy fraud is:
- if you are sub-letting the whole or part of your council home,
- if you have made a false declaration, or submitted fraudulent documents to obtain a council tenancy,
- if you are not occupying your council property as your main, or principal home,
- and if you have made a profit from any such activity
We now have powers under the Prevention of Social Housing Fraud Act 2013 to prosecute tenants; as this is now a criminal offence.
This may lead to a fine of up to £5,000 or imprisonment for up to 2 years.
Also, any profit deemed to have been made from tenancy fraud can be ordered to be repaid to the council by a court.
In the last three years, we have recovered more than 135 homes being illegally sub-let, allowing families in temporary accommodation to be permanently housed; and saving the public purse more than £1 million.
How to report fraud
To anonymously report any suspicions of tenancy fraud:
- Email email@example.com
- Call Fraudwatch on freephone 0330 808 4269
- Write to us:
PO BOX 22727
For further information on tenancy fraud, visit the Homes for Haringey website (external link).
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required