Tenancy Fraud in Haringey
What is tenancy fraud?
Tenancy fraud is:
- if you are sub-letting the whole or part of your council home,
- if you have made a false declaration, or submitted fraudulent documents to obtain a council tenancy,
- if you are not occupying your council property as your main, or principal home,
- and if you have made a profit from any such activity
We now have powers under the Prevention of Social Housing Fraud Act 2013 to prosecute tenants; as this is now a criminal offence.
This may lead to a fine of up to £5,000 or imprisonment for up to 2 years.
Also, any profit deemed to have been made from tenancy fraud can be ordered to be repaid to the council by a court.
In the last three years, we have recovered more than 135 homes being illegally sub-let, allowing families in temporary accommodation to be permanently housed; and saving the public purse more than £1 million.
How to report fraud
To anonymously report any suspicions of tenancy fraud:
- Email email@example.com
- Call Fraudwatch on freephone 0330 808 4269
- Write to us:
PO BOX 22727
For further information on tenancy fraud, visit the Homes for Haringey website (external link).
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required