Calling all council tenants – help us test a new online system and get shopping vouchers for your time! Find out more and sign up

Help with damp and mould in your home.

Report a problem with a House in Multiple Occupation

If you are a tenant and wish to report a problem with your HMO you must: 

  1. Have first raised the matter with your landlord in writing and given them the opportunity to respond/react. This is to protect your tenancy should enforcement action need to be taken against your landlord in the future.
  2. Have your Landlord/Managing agents contact details to give to the operator
  3. Have a full description of the problems you have
  4. See the How to report a problem with a HMO section below

If you have a complaint or concern about a HMO, but you don’t live in the property, please:

  • Provide as much information as you can about the property
  • Respect the fact that officers do not have the right to enter a property without being invited in by a tenant. As a result of this the officer may not be able to confirm your allegations immediately.
  • Accept that it may take time for officers to investigate complaints about HMOs

Back to top

How to report a problem with an HMO

You can use our online form to report a problem with an HMO:

Report a problem with a HMO

Or contact us via the details below:

  • Tel: 020 8489 1335
  • Email:
  • Visit in person during office hours: Monday to Friday 8.45am to 5pm:
    • Housing Improvement Team (Private Sector)
      First Floor
      River Park House
      225 Station Road
      Wood Green
      N22 8HQ

Back to top

If you don’t live in a HMO

If you’re a private tenant in a property which is in disrepair, but isn’t an HMO, visit our Reporting Disrepair - Private Rented Accommodation page.

If you are a Homes for Haringey tenant, a Housing Association tenant, or a temporary housing tenant take a look at our Reporting Disrepair - I am not a private tenant section.

Page last updated:

October 15, 2020

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)