Assistance and Grants

If you’re struggling to keep your home warm or to afford your energy bills, you might be able to take advantage of certain grants and support offered by the government and energy suppliers. 

See also our Here to Help page giving information on help and support including benefits and financial help, employment, housing and mental health

Mayor of London - Warmer Homes programme

The Mayor of London’s Warmer Homes programme provides free heating, insulation and ventilation improvements to low-income residents who own their own homes or rent privately.

Those living in the coldest and least efficient properties may be eligible for up to £25,000 of grant funding to cover the installation of efficiency measures, such as low carbon heating systems, insulation, and heat pumps.

You may be eligible if:

  • the occupants of the home have a combined total annual household income of less than £30,000 per year OR a total household income of less than £20,000 per year after tax, National Insurance, mortgage or rent costs and council tax.
  • you receive benefits
  • you own or rent your home
  • your property has a low Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of band D, E, F or G. If your property has never had an EPC survey, then this can be done through the scheme

The amount of funding available is dependent on the tenure, existing energy efficiency rating and current fuel type (i.e., gas, electricity, oil, or LPG) of the property.

Private landlords may apply for a grant on behalf of tenants who meet the eligibility criteria. Landlords with properties heated by electricity may be eligible for funding up to £13,333 to cover two-thirds of energy efficiency work. This means you can get up to £20,000 worth of measures installed for a maximum contribution of £6,667. Private rental properties heated with gas from the grid are eligible for funding of up to £5,000. 

There are several options available if applicants qualify for the programme including:

  • heat pumps
  • insulation for walls, lofts, and floors
  • heating system improvements or repairs
  • draughtproofing
  • solar energy installations

Applicants need to provide information showing they are (or their tenant is) eligible and details about the property. If the application is successful, a survey will be needed to work out which improvements are most suitable.

All surveys and installations are managed by RetrofitWorks. They provide a dedicated contact who helps explain what improvements are most suitable and ensures that work is carried out to a high standard. All work undertaken will be in accordance with current Government Retrofit standards (PAS 2035.2019) and will be carried out by Trustmark-registered installers for your peace of mind.

The scheme is currently open with funds being distributed on a first-come-first-served basis.

Find out more about the Warmer Homes scheme (external link) 

How to apply

Apply for the Warmer Homes scheme here (external link).

Back to top

Help with energy bills - coronavirus

The government has an agreement with energy suppliers to assist those who might be finding it difficult to power their home during the coronavirus outbreak. If you are struggling with money problems or are repaying a debt, options will include:

  • Reviewing bill payment plans, including debt repayment plans
  • Payment breaks or reductions in how much you pay
  • Giving you greater time to pay
  • In some cases access to hardship funds

No credit meters will be disconnected during the outbreak.

If you have a prepay meter and inform your supplier that you’re self-isolating at home, they will try to help you find other ways to keep your energy supply connected. For example,

  • Let someone else top up for you
  • Add funds to your account
  • Send you a pre-loaded top-up card

You’ll need to pay back any credit your supplier gives you - ask them when and how you’ll need to do this.

Please use the following phone numbers:

  • British Gas: 0333 202 9802
  • EDF: 0333 200 5100
  • EON: 0345 052 000
  • N Power: 0800 073 3000
  • Scottish Power: 0800 027 0072
  • SSE: 0345 026 2658

Haringey’s partner SHINE London can also provide support to households struggling with their energy bills (see below).

Back to top

SHINE London

Haringey has partnered with the SHINE London energy advice service to help residents keep well and warm and reduce the anxiety of paying for large fuel bills.

Referrals are accepted for any vulnerable resident but the following groups are particularly important:

  • Those aged over 65
  • Those with respiratory or cardiovascular disease
  • Those with other long term limiting illness
  • Low income families with children
  • Households spending 10% or more of their income on energy

Following a discussion with a Shine London representative vulnerable residents can benefit from a number of services including:

  • Advice on saving energy and grants available for heating and insulation
  • Support with bills and energy debt
  • 'Energy Doctor in the Home' home visiting service
  • Benefit checks 
  • Falls assessments
  • Telecare applications
  • Fire safety checks (from London Fire Brigade)
  • Home security checks (from the police)
  • Air quality alerts for people with respiratory diseases (from airTEXT)
  • Stop Smoking services
  • London Taxicard
  • And more

Contact SHINE

You can make a referral to Shine online by visiting the Shine website (external link).


Back to top

Energy Company Obligation (ECO)

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a government energy efficiency scheme to help reduce carbon emissions and tackle fuel poverty. There are two streams to this funding:

The Affordable warmth obligation

This provides help for people who might be vulnerable to the effects of living in a cold home, like pensioners or young children. You are eligible under this aspect of ECO if you receive at least one of the following benefits and satisfy the relevant income requirements, where applicable:

  • Income-related employment and support allowance (ESA)
  • Income-based jobseeker’s allowance (JSA)
  • Income support
  • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
  • Tax Credits (on certain conditions)
  • Universal Credit (on certain conditions)

There is also a Flexible Eligibility element. This allows the council to set criteria to direct assistance towards local private sector homes at risk of fuel poverty, but falling outside of the normal rules of ECO. Residents meeting the criteria, set out in Haringey's Statement of Intent (PDF, 260KB), can be assumed eligible by Energy Companies for ECO funded energy efficiency improvements.

For assistance to apply for this funding please contact Shine London.

Carbon emissions reduction obligation

Your energy supplier could help you financially with:

  • Insulating solid walls that might need cladding on either the inside or outside (usually on older buildings)
  • Cavity wall insulation for homes built after the 1930s
  • Loft insulation
  • Connections to district heating systems
  • Double glazing
  • Draught proofing

Contact the Energy Saving Advice Service in England (0300 123 1234) if you have questions about the scheme and on whether you are eligible.

Back to top


For further information about grants and assistance please keep visiting these pages, or you can contact us:

Back to top


Page last updated:

June 1, 2022