Moving from your council home
We hope you are happy in your council home but if you decide to move out and give up your council property, then you must give us four weeks' notice. If you don't, you will have to pay another four weeks' rent. So it is in your interest to tell us in advance that you want to move out but it also helps us prepare the property for the next tenants more quickly.
How to give us notice
You have to give us four full weeks' written notice ending on a Monday if you want to end your tenancy.
You can give us notice in one of the following two ways:
1. Download the Notice of intention to terminate tenancy form (Word, 23KB) and either:
- post it to us at Homes for Haringey, Rent Accounts team, Level 2, 48 Station Road, London N22 7TY
- email it to us at: email@example.com
- hand it in at your local Customer Service Centre
2. You can also book an appointment to complete the Notice of termination form with a staff member by:
- calling 020 8489 5611 Lines are open Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays (8am to 6pm) and Wednesdays (10am to 6pm)
- emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember - don't delay - the four weeks' notice only starts when we have received your notice in writing!
What happens after I have handed in my notice?
- We may contact you in order to inspect the property
- We may also contact you to show the property to new tenants
- You will need to pay any arrears on your rent account
What do I need to do before I move out?
- Make sure the property is empty and that everyone has moved out
- Make sure you leave the property tidy and clean
- Make sure you have repaired any damage
- Make sure that you've taken all your possessions with you
- Make sure that you have paid your rent in full up to the day your tenancy ends
Download our Moving home checklist (PDF, 345KB) to help you with your move.
If you don't follow these rules we will have to charge you for any costs we incur.
Handing in the keys
You can hand in the keys at your local Customer Service Centre. You do not need an appointment for this.
It is very important that you return the keys to us no later than 12pm on the Monday (or Tuesday if the Monday is a bank holiday). If you return the keys after 12pm on the last day you will be charged an additional week's rent.
When you come in we will complete the Tenancy Termination form (Word, 32KB) with you. We will also notify:
- Council Tax so they stop charging you
- Housing Benefit (if you are receiving Housing Benefit) so they stop making payments
Please allow one hour to complete the termination process.
Please note that if you are renting a garage, you will need to give separate notice to end your garage rental. To do this contact Customer Services on 020 8489 5611 or email email@example.com