Registering for social housing

Haringey's housing register

Demand for housing far outweighs supply and you may have to wait years before offered accommodation. Some areas of the country have social housing available. To discuss this option please contact housing advice.

Back to top

Who is eligible?

To join the housing register in Haringey you must be eligible for housing and qualify for inclusion in the register.

To be eligible, you must:

  • be 16 years of age or over
  • not be ineligible for housing by reason of your immigration status

To qualify for inclusion in the register, you must:

  • not have been found guilty of unacceptable behaviour
  • have continuously lived in the borough for 3 years at the time of applying
  • meet the criteria to be placed in one of the Housing Needs Bands A-C
  • not reside in temporary accommodation provided by another local authority at the time of applying
  • not be a home-owner
  • if residing in tied accommodation and you are less than 6 months away from your retirement or you have received a legal notice asking you to leave your home

All other persons included on a housing application must be a member of the applicant’s family.

Housing register applications are subject to a standard verification process which includes home visits and the checking of identification and other relevant documents. People who are confirmed as statutorily homeless and accepted for re-housing are automatically entered onto the housing register. Applicants with no fixed abode can apply to join the register with a 'care of' address.

All eligible applicants are placed in the Housing Needs Band appropriate to their needs in accordance with Haringey's Housing Allocations Policy.

You have the right to request a review (see housing reviews) of any decision made by the council concerning your application.

How to apply

If you are eligible, you can apply to join the housing register.

Back to top

Change of circumstances

If you are already on the Housing Register and your circumstances change, please notify us if this is relevant to your housing need.

Fill in the  Housing Register - Change of Circumstances (PDF, 100KB) form and return it to us by email, post or in person at one of our Customer Service Centres.

Back to top

Medical assessment

If you are on the Housing Register and have a medical condition that you think is made worse by your current housing, fill in our form to request a medical assessment.

You will be advised whether the condition is likely to prioritise your application and if so, will be informed of the next steps you need to take.

Back to top

Renewing your application

All applicants on the housing register will be required to confirm their details at least once a year including whether they wish to remain on the Register. We will contact applicants to tell them how to do this.

If you have received a letter from us, fill in the housing application renewal form.

Back to top


Page last updated:

September 29, 2023