Storms and High Winds
Storms and high winds are common in the UK, particularly throughout winter months. By preparing for high winds you can lessen the risk of damage to your own home and to others.
Be aware of the situation. In addition to watching the news and listening to radio updates, there are other ways to stay informed:
- Met Office website (external link) - for updates on weather conditions
- Highways Agency website (external link) - for traffic information and road closures
- TfL website (external link) for public transport information on closures/alternative services
- Social media - emergency updates will be published on our social media channels:
- If high winds are forecast, you should check your property and carry out a few simple steps to reduce damage:
- Ensure all windows and doors are securely shut
- Check your roof for any loose tiles
- Take garden furniture inside, or move into garage/shed. If this is not possible, try to secure items as much as possible
- Try to park your vehicle away from trees
- In the event of high winds, stay indoors as much as possible
- If you have to go outside, ensure you avoid sheltering by buildings and under trees
- Do not go outside to attempt to repair/retrieve damaged items during the storm
- After the storm try to avoid walking near walls and trees which may have been weakened by the high winds
- Do not touch any cables which may have fallen during the event
- Check on vulnerable neighbours to see if they require any assistance
This section provides external links for further advice from our partner agencies on how to prepare for storms and high winds.
- See the Met Office: Stay safe in a storm (external link) for advice on how to stay safe and protect your property
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.
* = response required