Fires are usually caused by accident, and there will usually be little or no warning when a fire starts. Fires spread quickly so it is important to be prepared for a fire in your own home. In the event of a fire in your home, exit as quickly as possible and dial 999.
This film shows - in real time - the speed at which a fire can spread, especially at Christmas when we fill our living rooms and overload plug sockets.
Note for iPhone users and Youtube. There is a known bug with iOS and Youtube, Two buttons are read before the player but provide no functionality. We advise that you skip these to access the content.
Did you know you’re four times less likely to die from a fire in a home fitted with a working smoke alarm?
We want all homes in Haringey to be as safe as possible, and that means making sure they’re safe against fire.
- Fit at least one smoke alarm on each level of your home and test them weekly
- Plan an evacuation route out of your home in case your normal way out is obstructed, ensure this route is kept clear of any obstructions and notify all members of the household. See our Emergency Planning page for a Home Emergency Plan template
- Ensure that all members of the household are aware that in the event of a fire it is important to stay low to decrease smoke inhalation
- Prepare a grab bag and leave it in an easily accessible place so you can collect it in the event of evacuation, only when safe to do so
This section provides external links for further advice on how to prepare for a fire emergency:
- The Fire Brigade offers a wealth of guidance on fire safety including, fire safety at home, fire safety at work and fire safety in the community. See the London Fire Brigade website (external link) for further information
- For more information on smoke alarms see the London Fire Brigade: Smoke Alarms (external link). Alternatively you can contact the London Fire Brigade on Freephone 0800 028 4428 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Register my Appliance
You can register all of your domestic appliances to ensure that the manufacturers know who to contact if a safety repair is needed. This website provides quick access to the registration pages of over 60 leading brands of domestic appliances: Register my Appliance website (external link)
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required