Disabled Band Reduction
Disabled Band Reduction eligibility
A disabled band reduction may apply if a property is
- the main residence of a disabled person, and
- the property has either;
- a room, other than a bathroom, toilet or kitchen, which is predominantly used by and required to meet the needs of the disabled person, or
- an additional bathroom or kitchen required to meet the needs of the disabled person, or
- enough floor space for the use of a wheelchair required to meet the needs of the disabled person.
The disabled person does not have to be liable to pay Council Tax and may be of any age.
For the purposes of this reduction, a disabled person means a person who is substantially and permanently disabled caused by illness, injury, congenital deformity or otherwise.
If you are eligible, a reduction will be applied to your account to reduce the amount you must pay to that of a band lower than your property. For example, if your property is in band D you will be charged the band C rate. If your property is in band A you will still receive a reduction equivalent to that for bands B, C and D.
Adaptions that do not qualify
Please note the following adaptions or uses alone do not qualify for a disabled band reduction:
- Stannah stair lifts
- Additional rails inside or outside the property
- Using a zimmer frame indoors
- Possession of a disabled parking permit
How to apply
To apply, please complete the online Disabled Person's Discount form:
Complete the Disabled Person's Discount form
Or download and complete the Disabled Band Reduction application form (PDF, 32KB)
Please note that an enquiry officer may be required to visit your property to assess your eligibility before any reduction is awarded.
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.
* = response required
Find my nearest
Visit My Haringey to get information about your property and local area including council tax bands, parking zones, planning applications and much more.