Adult Social Care Complaints Procedure

How to complain

Please use our online feedback form:

Complete feedback form

If you are unable to use the form, please contact us by phone on 020 8489 3424.

What we will do with your complaint

We deal with complaints about adult social care differently to complaints about other things because there is a law (external link) that tells us to.

We will:

  • write to you within three working days 
  • offer to discuss your complaint with you and explain how the complaint will be investigated
  • respond to your complaint within 10 working days.

The statutory social care complaint procedures apply to complaints by an adult (or their representative) who receives or is entitled to receive an adult social care service.

A risk assessment is conducted at the outset to determine who will respond to the complaint.

If there is an advocate, we will deal directly with them until the investigation into the complaint is completed. If the complainant does not have an advocate, we will consider whether an advocate should be appointed, depending on the vulnerability of the service user.

In high risk cases, we will appoint an independent investigating officer, i.e. someone that does not work for Haringey Council or a senior manager independent of the service involved. In these cases we will appoint an Adjudicating Officer to consider the independent investigating officer’s findings. The Adjudicating Officer will respond to the complainant explaining whether or not they accept the investigating officer’s findings with clear explanations.

The timescale may be extended in high risk or complex cases and we will write to let you know if that is the case.

This is a one stage procedure. If we are unable to resolve the issue and the complainant remains dissatisfied with the response, they may contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman. We will provide the relevant contact details when we respond to the complaint.



Page last updated:

February 20, 2023

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)

Find my nearest

Visit My Haringey to get information about your property and local area including council tax bands, parking zones, planning applications and much more