Transitions can be a difficult time for everyone, particularly for children with SEND. This toolbox is a pack of resources to make the move into Reception as smooth as possible.
The principles of a good transition are:
- all children and families receive a warm welcome in their new setting
- feelings and relationships are at the heart of every transition
- transitions are well planned in advance and involve everyone working with the child
- everyone takes responsibility to provide timely information and works together to secure a smooth transition
In the toolkit are:
- Reception Transition - A nursery perspective (PDF, 17KB)
- Top Tips leaflet for parents and carers of children starting school (PDF, 911KB)
- Transition to Primary School for children with SEND - Parent's story (PDF, 25KB)
- A guide to understanding the transition into Reception (PDF, 669KB)
- Questions you may want to ask when visiting a school (PDF, 48KB)
- Attachment and Transition leaflet (PDF, 4346KB)
- Where to get more help (PDF, 210KB)
- Example of a One Page Profile (PDF, 87KB)
- Guidance for parents of summer born children (PDF, 239KB)
- Starting school with an EHC - FAQs document (PDF, 75KB)
Other useful sources of information are the school admissions page and our Choosing Positive Futures Presentation 2021 (PDF, 475KB).
See also: Early years education and childcare
Page Last Updated:
June 20, 2022
Tell us what you think about this page
Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.
* = response required