Marriage Schedules

The way marriages are registered in England and Wales changed on 4 May 2021. 

Marriage Schedules have now replaced Marriage Registers. Previously issued Certificates for Marriage (one each) has now been replaced by a single Marriage Schedule per couple.

About Marriage Schedules

A Marriage Schedule is a pre-printed A4 document that has the details of the marriage on it. The couple and the witnesses sign this document at the ceremony.

Changes from 4 May 2021

The key changes that took place from 4 May 2021 were:

  • Marriage Schedules replaced Marriage Registers
  • Couples need a Marriage Schedule (issued after Notice of Marriage is given) in order to have a ceremony
  • The district of marriage issues the Marriage Schedule rather than the place where you gave Notice of Marriage
  • Certificates for Marriage (also known as 'the blues') cannot be used to conduct a marriage ceremony from 4 May 2021 onwards
  • Up to 4 parents' details can now be recorded, including mothers for the first time, on the marriage entry
  • Marriage certificates are printed rather than handwritten and are issued after the ceremony, not at the time of the ceremony. Please take this into account if you are planning to travel straight after the ceremony

Notices of Marriage remain valid for one year from the date notice was given. 

Back to top

If you need a Marriage Schedule - places of worship

If you need a Marriage Schedule for a place of worship ceremony in Haringey please email your full names and contact details including a phone number to

We will then make arrangements to supply you with a Marriage Schedule

If a civil wedding is going to take place (no religion) and you have already given Notice of Marriage, the register office in the district of marriage will take care of everything and replace the Certificates for Marriage with a Marriage Schedule without you having to do anything.

    Back to top

    Information for places of worship

    The General Register Office publishes Authorised Person newsletters - GOV.UK (external link) and a GRO leaflet for the Clergy (PDF 267KB).

    There is more information on the LRSA website (external link).

    Back to top

    Further information

    To find out more, please read the General Register Office's guidance:

    Back to top


    Page last updated:

    February 20, 2023

    Tell us what you think about this page

    Problem with a service?
    If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

    Help us improve this page
    If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

    * = response required

    Ease of use

    Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

    Service required

    What was the main service you were interested in today?

    Purpose of visit

    What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

    Device and browser information

    It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

    Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
    Which browser are you using? (optional)

    Your comments

    Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

    Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


    Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)