COVID-19: Due to the current situation, people will not be seen at the Register Office unless they have an appointment. Check out the latest information on our COVID-19 advice page.

Bereavement support

Bereavement Services

Please note: Haringey Council no longer provides a cremation and burial service.

This is now provided at Enfield Crematorium, Tottenham Cemetery and Wood Green Cemetery by Dignity Funerals Ltd (external link).

All queries relating to the cemeteries and crematorium - including record searches - should be directed to Dignity Funerals Ltd:

  • Dignity Funerals Ltd can be contacted by calling Enfield Crematorium on 020 8363 8324

Back to top

Cemetery and Crematorium addresses

Enfield Crematorium

Great Cambridge Road

  • Tel: 020 8363 8324

Tottenham Cemetery

White Hart Lane

  • Tel: 020 8363 8324

Wood Green Cemetery

Wolves Lane
Wood Green

  • Tel: 020 8363 8324

Back to top

Registering a death

Find out how to register a death.

Back to top

Need help following a bereavement?

A wide range of organisations provide help for people organising funerals and to assist with the grieving process. Details of some support services can be found on the help and contacts page.

Back to top

Arranging a Funeral

Most funerals are arranged through a funeral director. However, you could arrange the funeral yourself if you wish. Useful information on all types of funerals is available on the Citizens Advice website (external link) and on GOV.UK (external link).

Local authorities must, under the Public Health (Control of Diseases) Act 1984, organise a funeral - called a Public Health Funeral - for a person who dies within the borough and who either has no next of kin, or none willing or able to do so. If a such a person passes away in a hospital or care home, the hospital bereavement officer or care home manager will organise the funeral, depending on the individual circumstances.

Our primary duty when arranging a public health funeral is to the person who has passed away, and they will be buried or cremated as soon as is practically possible - simply but with dignity and respect.

If no instructions have been left by the person who has died as to what kind of funeral they want, we will organise a burial. If, however, the deceased has left instructions that they wish to be cremated, this can be arranged.

The person who has died will be buried in an unmarked public grave, unless they have made arrangements for a private grave. The council's contracted funeral directors will provide everything necessary for a simple but dignified service, including a coffin, the transport of the person who has died to the crematorium or cemetery in a hearse, and pallbearers to transfer the coffin to the chapel. Any religious beliefs or none will be respected, and an appropriate service will be conducted.

Relatives and/or friends, if known to us, will be advised of the date, time and place of the service. If a cremation is organised and friends or relatives wish to scatter the deceased person’s ashes - either in the cemetery’s garden of remembrance or somewhere else - then this can be arranged.

The council also has a duty to reclaim costs of the funeral from the deceased’s estate, if any, and will have first call on the estate to ensure that our costs are covered.

If you require any further information on the subject, please contact the Bereavement Team at or telephone 020 8489 1295.

Back to top

Further help

For help relating to COVID-19 in Haringey please call 020 8489 4431 - Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 6.30pm.

There is a wide range of help and advice available from a variety of organisations including how to repatriate the body of a deceased person, advice on wills and burials of varying cultures and faiths. Some of these are listed on our help and contacts page.

Back to top

Page last updated:

7 July 2020

Tell us what you think about the website

Covid-19 survey

We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.

Contact us about our services

Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Give us feedback about this page

Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

* = response required

Please note this form is not for general service requests or issues. It's quicker for you if those comments are sent directly to Customer Services.

How easy was it to get the help you wanted

Would you like to provide any further comments about your visit today?

Additional comment?

Do you wish to report a problem with a council service?

Service comment

It's quicker if you report any service issues using our online self-service pages (opens in new window).

Tell us about your experience of using the website below:

Please note this form is not for general service requests or reporting issues with a service. It's quicker for you if those comments are sent directly to Customer Services.