- System maintenance: We are undertaking some IT maintenance work this weekend (20 and 21 January) which may affect some of our e-forms and websites. If you encounter a problem please try again 30 minutes later. Sorry for any inconvenience.
- Coming soon: My Haringey – our new online service including local information and maps – including planning applications; parking zones; schools; health services; councillors and more. Try it out now and let us know what you think.
You should tell us straightaway if you have been paid too much Housing Benefit.
Contact us if:
- you think you have been overpaid
- you get a letter telling you that you have been overpaid
- your circumstances change and this is likely to affect your Housing Benefit
It is your responsibility to tell us if your circumstances change or if you think you are being overpaid. If you do not inform us of any changes to your circumstances, you could be prosecuted for benefit fraud.
What happens if you’ve been overpaid
You will get a letter to let you know that you’ve been overpaid.
You should immediately contact us if you think this is a mistake and you want to appeal the decision.
When you have to repay the money
You will have to pay the money back if the overpayment was your fault:
- if the information you gave us was wrong
- you did not report a change in your circumstances
- there was an administrative mistake but you should have noticed the overpayment - eg you received two payments instead of one
If your landlord gets your Housing Benefit directly
Your landlord may be asked to repay the money if they are responsible for the overpayment. However, if the overpayment was your fault, you may have to repay it.
If you still receive Housing Benefit, the regular amount you get will be reduced until you’ve paid back the money. We can also help you arrange a payment plan.
- Make a Housing Benefit Overpayment Payment online
- Use a self-service payment kiosk to make a Debit or Credit card payment at your local Customer Service Centre
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.