Safeguarding and Preventing Abuse - Where can you go for Support

Haringey is asking all residents to challenge abuse wherever it exists and to report it if they believe an older person might be suffering abuse in any form. Safeguarding residents is one of the most important parts of our work. And while many people are well cared for, some may be at risk of abuse.

Abuse can happen in a number of ways including psychological, discriminatory, sexual, domestic, financial or physical (see the 'What is Safeguarding' section for more details). Those most at risk include people with mental health problems, disabilities, dementia or those who are physically frail. It can also take place anywhere - often where someone should feel safe - and can be perpetrated by people they think they can trust, like a relative, friend or professional.

What should I do if I suspect someone is being abused?

If you or the person you are concerned about is not being mistreated (but you or they still have needs to address) you can make a referral to Adult Social Care via the First Response Team.

Back to top

How to report suspected adult abuse (for members of the public)

If you think someone else is being abused, you must tell someone:

Call the Police

  • If the danger is not immediate telephone 101
  • If the danger is immediate, always call the police on 999

Contact the First Response Team (adult social services):

Information that would be helpful:

  • Why you are concerned
  • The name, age and address of the adult at risk
  • If anyone lives with them
  • If they're getting help from any organisation
  • Who may be doing the abuse

Don't delay in reporting abuse if you're not sure about some of these details.

Back to top

How to raise a safeguarding concern (for professionals)

If you wish to raise a safeguarding concern, download the  Safeguarding Alert Form (Word, 46KB)

If you have any trouble completing the form, please contact the First Response team by email: and they will help you.

Back to top


Page last updated:

October 17, 2022

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)