Care Homes

What are residential and nursing care?

Residential care is long-term care given to adults in a residential setting rather than the person's home.

Nursing care is similar, but it also includes care from qualified nurses.

Residential care homes and nursing homes are called care homes.

Older people and/or people with disabilities, mental health issues, or learning disabilities often live at home, with or without support from friends, family or others. However, if help at home is not available or no longer suitable, residential care or nursing care may be more appropriate.

Residential care provides accommodation, meals, leisure activities, personal care and emotional support for those who are unable to manage at home. Nusing care provides all this, and also support with health needs from nurses.

The council and the NHS pay a fixed amount towards nursing care in a nursing home. More information on nursing care is available in the NHS Funded Nursing Care factsheet from Age UK (external link).

Back to top

Getting assessed

You can request an assessment to determine what support you need. We will look at what support is available to you. If you need further support we may offer you a personal budget to pay for other services.

If the assessment indicates you have needs that cannot reasonably be met by services in your own home, we may suggest you move into a care home. We will financially assess you to determine what contribution you can make to the cost of this.

Back to top

Choosing a care home

If you are thinking about moving into a care home it is important to make sure that you choose one that will be right for you both now and in the future. You can get advice and information to help you make this important decision from:

  • your social worker or care manager
  • a district nurse
  • a health visitor
  • Your GP

Find out about paying for residential care and assessment.

If you have a disability or illness that makes it difficult to make decisions, we will use the Mental Capacity Act (external link) to ensure you have a service that meets your best interests.

Back to top

Care homes in Haringey

To find a residential or nursing care home in or around Haringey, including its location, contact details, services on offer, ratings and reviews, you can look it up in Haricare – the directory of services for adults.

For reports on residential and nursing care homes visit the Care Quality Commission (CQC) website (external link). You can search by postcode or the name of the care home. All residential and nursing care homes, whether council-run or private, are regularly inspected by the Care Quality Commission.

If you are interested in a particular care home, reading the CQC's free inspection report will help you make an informed choice about it.

Back to top

Concerns about safety

If you think you or someone you know is being mistreated in a care home, or elsewhere, ring the Safeguarding Adults Referral and Advice Line on 020 8489 1400 (office hours) or 020 8489 0000 (out of hours).

Back to top

Paying for residential care

If you need financial help, we’ll assess your needs to work out what type of care will suit you best, and how much we can fund. You may need to contribute to the cost of your residential care. To find out if you will, and how we work out how much you may need to pay, read our paying for care page.


If you will be paying for residential care yourself you can make arrangements with the care home directly. Independent financial advice for care self-funders is available here:

Back to top

The standards you can expect from Haringey

Haringey Adult Services has strong commissioning practice and we only agree to fund care home places that have a high quality rating to ensure that residents receive the highest possible standards in the care they receive.

Back to top

Other Housing Options

An alternative to residential care homes is supported housing, including sheltered housing or good neighbour self-contained accommodation and Extra Care Supported Housing.

These are mainly one-bedroom flats, centrally heated, with emergency alarms, and most have secured entry-phone systems.

Back to top


The First Response Team is your single point of contact.

  • Tel: 020 8489 1400
    Opening Hours 9am - 5pm, Monday - Friday
  • Email: 
  • Write to
    Integrated Access Team
    London Borough of Haringey
    2nd Floor, 225 High Road
    Wood Green
    London N22 8HQ
    One of our dedicated team of Community Care Officers will be pleased to assist with your enquiry.
  • Web: Visit Haricare (external link) - the online directory of services for adults

Out of office hours

During weekends, and between 5pm and 9am on weekdays, contact the Emergency Duty Team.

  • Tel: 020 8489 0000

Back to top

Page last updated:

March 7, 2023