Extra Care - an alternative to residential care
What is Extra Care?
Extra care offers very intensive care, the type of care you may get in residential care but in your own home. You have your own front door and retain as much control and independence over your life as possible.
I need more care now but I really do not want to go into residential care
There are five extra care schemes in Haringey:
- Lorenco House (external link) is located in Tottenham and has 44 one-bedroom and 8 two-bedroom apartments
- Nuffield Lodge (external link) is located in Highgate and has 19 studios and 6 one-bedroom apartments
- Protheroe House (external link) is located in Tottenham and has 36 one-bedroom and 14 two-bedroom apartments
- Roden Court (external link) is located between Highgate and Crouch End and has 40 apartments
- The Trees (external link) is located in Highgate and has 40 apartments
- 19 apartments in the Trees have two-bedrooms, so there is space for a live-in carer - this could be your partner, relative or paid live-in carer
The photos below show a bedroom in Lorenco House and the dining room in Protheroe House:
Think you may need help?
If you are paying for your own care, you can contact the homes directly to find out how to make an application.
If you're not arranging your own care, we will need to carry out an assessment of your housing and care needs. The assessment will help us agree on what services you need, and how much we can fund them.
You may need to contribute to the cost of your care. You may be eligible for Housing Benefit to pay the rent.
Your personal budget, which is we pay to meet your assessed needs and with your personal contribution, can be used to meet the costs of the care provided in the extra care scheme.
If you are interested in or think you might be eligible for 'extra care', please contact our Integrated Care Team.
The First Response Team is your single point of contact, and will be able to assist you with your enquiry.
- Telephone 020 8489 1400
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
- E mail FirstResponseTeam@haringey.gov.uk
- (charged at standard rate depending on provider and subscribers package)
- Or write to:
First Response Team
River Park House
225 High Road
One of our dedicated team of Community Care Officers will be pleased to assist you with your enquiry.
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.
* = response required