Help in a Crisis

Everyone experiences a crisis in their own way. You might feel that your mental health has been steadily deteriorating for some time, or perhaps something's happened in your life.

But whatever your situation, if you start to feel unable to cope, or to keep yourself safe, it's important to ask for help.

Does someone close to you seem really down? Might they be thinking about suicide? The only way to know is to ask. Read the It's safe to talk about suicide leaflet (PDF, 156KB) for advice.

Mind UK (external link) have useful information about the different crisis services available and advice on what might work for you. 

Safe Haven Helpline is a safe, confidential helpline for anyone living in, or who has a GP, in Haringey and is aged 18+. You can telephone 0800 953 0223 - 7 days a week, 5-8 pm, including bank holidays. 

Who to contact

Urgent mental health crisis

If you or someone else has an urgent mental health need, you can get help from the Crisis Resolution and Home Treatment service (CRHT) (external link). The CRHT service provides an urgent outreach service within 4 hours, for those at risk of psychiatric hospital admission 24 hours a day, seven days a week, wherever people are at the point of referral eg GP surgery, A & E, or in their own homes.

  • Telephone: 0800 151 0023

Emergency help is also available at Accident and Emergency departments at the North Middlesex (external link) and Whittington (external link) hospitals. Specialist mental health teams are available around the clock, who will see anyone aged over 16 who might be suffering from mental health problems in A&E, or as an inpatient.

If you are concerned about your own mental health or the mental health of someone you care about, you should call NHS 111 or make an appointment with your GP, who can refer you to the right services.

If someone is putting themselves or others in danger now, it’s an emergency and you should call the police on 999. They can arrange an urgent joint assessment with Mental Health services or our Social Workers if it is appropriate.

Back to top


Page last updated:

October 17, 2022

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)