Support with taking your medication
Do you find it hard to take your prescribed medication as directed?
If so then we can help you to make it easy for you to take them on your own.
Some simple things that you can do yourself are:
- Keep a diary or planner and tick of each dose as you take it
- Set your clock or mobile alarm to remind you
- Put your medication in a place that is part of your daily routine, such as, next to your breakfast things, on your dining table or eating tray
You can buy a range of aids to help you take your medicines such as:
- dosette boxes with alarms or
- special containers that are easier to open
You can purchase these from your pharmacist and other retailers.
- Visit AskSara (external link) to find out what equipment is available to help you and where you can buy it
Social care support
If you are getting a care package that includes visits to your home, then we may be able to provide you with reminders if our visit coincides with your medication time.
You can talk to your GP who can review your medicines and find other ways to help you such as:
- referring you to the district nurses and community health visitors who may review your needs and provide you with support
- provide other medicines such as capsules or liquid that are easier to take
Pharmacists and district nurses
You can also talk to your chemist or nurse who can provide advice and also identify aids to help you take your prescribed medication. For example transferring your prescription into a dosette box which is marked with the days of the week and the times at which you should take your medication
Your pharmacist may also provide a prescription collection and delivery service, if you can't do this yourself. But you will need to check with your pharmacist first.
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required