Supported Living Services

What is supported living?

Supported living offers good quality accommodation where residents have tenancy rights with flexible person-centred support to address their needs and aspirations.

They provide opportunities to live as independently as possible in the community whilst supporting you to maximise your independence, care for yourself, manage your health needs and feel connected and included as part of the community.

Back to top 

Who can benefit?

Supported living is available for people who:

  • are aged 18 years or more;
  • are ordinarily resident in Haringey and/or registered with a Haringey GP;
  • have been assessed by the council as eligible for services under the 2014 Care Act, or have similar needs and can pay for their own support;
  • have the means to pay the rent or are eligible for Housing Benefit

There are specific supported living services for different groups of people.

This means that the support workers in your service should be trained appropriately, and will understand your needs.

Haringey residents receiving the service may have needs for care or support arising from or related to a physical or mental impairment or illness, including:

  • Mental illness, including those with dual diagnosis
  • Learning disabilities
  • Autism and other neuro-developmental disorders
  • Physical disabilities
  • Problems of substance misuse
  • Experience of rough sleeping
  • Dementia

Back to top

Types of accommodation available

Supported living services can offer you a home and a support package in a range of accommodation types, including:

  • Fully self-contained units comprising a separate bedroom and living room with exclusive use of kitchen and bathroom facilities or studio accommodation with exclusive use of kitchen and bathroom facilities. Self-contained units may comprise the whole or part of a purpose-built block of flats or a number of units situated close to one another in a small locality such as an estate.
  • Accommodation for two or more service users each of whom will have exclusive use of a bedroom with shared use of kitchen and bathroom facilities. The accommodation is usually located in a self-contained unit such as a house or large flat which is exclusively occupied by the group of service users who are receiving the support service.

Back to top

Types of support available

In a supported living service you will have your individual support and care plan that will specify the type of support you need in different areas of your life. The types of support you might need includes:

  • maintaining your home
  • managing your personal finances
  • developing domestic and life skills
  • accessing employment, training or volunteering opportunities
  • developing and keeping personal relationships
  • keeping in touch with family

Back to top 

How long does a scheme last?

Supported living services can be provided on a long term basis or for a time-limited period depending on your needs and the support you need. As needed, services will help you to move to a more independent accommodation setting once your needs have reduced, and you have gained more skills.

Back to top 

Who pays for this?

If you have been assessed as eligible for services under the 2014 Care Act, the council will pay for the support you receive. You will be responsible for the rent, so you must be able to pay the rent. You can claim Housing Benefit if you are eligible.

You will be responsible for paying the utilities bills, such as gas, water and electricity. If you are in shared accommodation, you will pay a share of this

You will pay for your food and other personal items, like clothes and toiletries.

You will have a financial assessment to decide if you can pay part of the cost of support.

Back to top

How to apply

If you would like to see if supported living is right for you, we will need to carry out an assessment. After the assessment we will identify and agree your needs with you and discuss the help and support available to meet them, according to your specific situation.

To find out if you can benefit from supported living you can make a referral to social services for assessment.

Back to top

Alternatives to supported living

Shared Lives

Shared Lives provides you with support and a home if you’re an adult needing a little extra help.

You’ll be carefully matched with one of our specially trained Shared Lives carers and spend time in their home and local community.

Your Shared Lives carer will support you to achieve your goals and live the way you want to live. You could share your days with a carer, stay for short breaks, or even move in and live with your Shared Lives carer.

Sheltered and Community Good Neighbours Housing

People over 55 can apply directly for sheltered and community good neighbours housing and do not need a full assessment of needs. These schemes provide access to an alarm system and support from a scheme manager.

Self-funding and direct payments

There might also be other ways to get the support you need. You can self-fund, or may be able eligible to have a direct payment and arrange your own support.

See the following pages for more information:

Back to top


Page last updated:

October 6, 2022