Shopping and meals
If you, or someone you care for, are having difficulties preparing and cooking your own meals there are various options you could choose to make mealtimes easier.
- Supermarket shopping
- Frozen meals
- Home meal service
- Lunch clubs
- Helping you prepare meals independently
- Meals on wheels consultation - outcome
Many supermarkets and food delivery services offer home delivery for foods bought online and you could choose ready meals including frozen meals, that can be heated in a microwave or a conventional oven as an alternative.
For advice on shopping and paying safely online, see the Money Advice Service (external link)
The following are some examples of supermarkets and companies who offer home deliveries:
- Ocado (external link)
- Morrison's (external link)
- Sainsbury’s (external link)
- Tesco (external link)
- Waitrose (external link)
These companies will deliver a week or more supply of frozen meals
- Oakhouse Foods (external link) - weekly delivery of frozen meals
- Wiltshire Farm Foods (external link) - weekly or fortnightly delivery of frozen meals
- Hermolis (external link) - Kosher meals. Delivery of a minimum of ten meals at a time. Prices and delivery costs on request. See Hermolis Menu (PDF, 142BB) Telephone 020 8810 4321, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blue Mountain Foods (external link) - Caribbean and West Indian meals. Minimum order 12 meals
London Independent Living Service
London Independent Living Service's daily private hot meal service provides a hot main meal and dessert as well as a safe and well check – notifying next of kin of any concerns for only £6.99
- London Independent Living Service website (external link)
- Tel: 03333 444 806
- Email: email@example.com
Cypriot Community Centre
Daily hot meal plus dessert delivered Monday to Friday. Cypriot style food. Diabetic menu available. £4.50
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Telephone: 020 8881 2329
Daily hot meal delivered Monday to Friday. Includes Caribbean/West Indian style food. £7
Some community centres will provide an inexpensive cooked meal as a service for people who have difficulty cooking for themselves, or would like an opportunity to go out to be with other people
Ask Sara can give you advice about equipment which may help you to prepare food and cook independently:
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required