Access Pregnancy Tests in Haringey
- Pregnancy tests should be taken if your period is late, or three weeks after unprotected sex.
- You can buy a pregnancy test from many pharmacies and supermarkets, or access free pregnancy testing from sexual health clinics in Haringey - see map below
Check the map for the location of your nearest clinic. You can find out more about each clinic on our under 25s sexual health clinics page or by visiting the NHS Central and North West London Sexual Health website (external link).
Clinics can support you if you are unhappy about being pregnant and will discuss your options with you.
How do pregnancy tests work?
All pregnancy tests detect the hormone human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG), which starts to be produced around 6 days after fertilisation. Most pregnancy tests come in a box that contains 1 or 2 long sticks. You wee on the stick and the result appears on the stick after a few minutes. All tests are slightly different, so always check the instructions.
A positive test result is almost certainly correct. A negative result is less reliable. If you get a negative result and still think you're pregnant, wait a few days and try again. Speak to your GP if you get a negative result after a second test but your period hasn't arrived.
More information on pregnancy tests - including a video about their accuracy - can be found on NHS Choices (external link).
I’m pregnant - what next?
- If you are pregnant, or think you might be, and want to speak to someone about your options, you can visit either of the sexual health clinics in the map above.
- NHS Choices has lots of information about getting pregnant and pregnancy on their pregnancy pages (external link)
- Find out more about pregnancy and maternity services in Haringey, as well as advice on getting pregnant and having a healthy pregnancy.
- Find out more about termination of pregnancy (abortion) services in Haringey
Back to: Pregnancy and Contraception Services.