What is HIV?
HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. It attacks the body's defence system, preventing it from fighting illnesses and infection.
HIV is not passed on by shaking hands, kissing, touching or hugging, sharing cups, cutlery, crockery or towels.
HIV is not spread by sneezing or coughing or from tears or sweat.
A person does not get infected with HIV from daily contact.
How is HIV passed on?
A diagnosis of HIV affects you, your family, partner and friends. It can be passed on in the following ways:
- Unprotected sexual intercourse - vaginal, oral or anal without using a condom
- Sharing contaminated needles, syringes and 'works'
- From an infected mother to her baby during pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding
- From contaminated blood or blood products
We have a range of services that provide free rapid HIV testing:
53 Park Road, Crouch End, N8 8SY
Tel: 020 8348 9301
11 Great Cambridge Rd, Tottenham, N17 7LH
Tel: 020 8808 4015
59a Broad Lane, Tottenham, N15 4DJ
Tel: 020 8808 0422
4 Grand Parade, Haringey, N4 1JX
Tel: 020 8800 1638
17 The Broadway , Wood Green, N22 6DS
Tel: 020 8888 1605
214 High Road Wood Green, N22 8HH
Tel: 020 8888 1669
49/51 The Broadway, Crouch End, N8 8DT
Tel: 020 8340 4772
575-577 High Road,N17 6SB
Tel: 020 8808 3291
182 Stroud Green Road, Haringey, N4 3RN
Tel: 020 7272 1591
491-493 Seven Sisters Road,N15 6EP
Tel: 020 8800 4876
The Cadge Pharmacy
105 Philip Lane, Tottenham, N15 4JR
Tel: 020 8808 2740
Or visit the Embrace UK Community Support Centre:
- Embrace UK
- Tel: 020 8801 9224 - Switch Board
- Tel: 080 8168 0155 - Free Phone
- Web: Embrace UK website (external link)
Under 25s can also visit our Young Peoples' Sexual health Clinics - or call 020 3317 5252 to book an appointment.
PrEP, or pre-exposure prophylaxis, is an HIV prevention method that can stop HIV from taking hold and spreading throughout your body.
PrEP is prescribed to HIV-negative adults and adolescents who are at high risk for getting HIV through sex or injection drug use.
For more information go to:
- HIV basics, HIV prevention, HIV using medication to reduce risk/pre-exposure-prophylaxis (external link)
- HIV and sexual health/prep-pre-exposure-prophylaxis (external link)
Other useful organisations
- NHS information on HIV and AIDS (external link)
- Terence Higgins Trust (external link) - tel: 080 8802 1221
- Positive Rainbow Support Group at Wise Thoughts (external link). Meets at Wood Green Library every month - contact to confirm dates: tel: 020 8889 9555 | email: email@example.com
- Avert (external link) - email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do It London website (external link)