What do we know about Violence against Women and Girls (VAWG) in Haringey?
While we know that violence against women and girls is a major problem in Haringey, it is difficult to get detailed information on how many women and girls this affects each year as there is underreporting and many victims/survivors do not come to the attention of services.
However, we do know that:
- In the rolling year from April 2015 to March 2016: Haringey had the fifth highest rate of recorded domestic abuse in London (22 recorded incidents per 1,000 population). There were 2,787 domestic abuse incidents, a 21% increase on the previous 12 months. 592 sexual offences were recorded, which is nearly a 10% increase in sexual offences from the previous 12 month period
- Of all contacts to Children and Young People Services in Haringey, 70-80% involve domestic abuse
- More than 1 in 5 women have been subject to stalking or harassment at some point in their lives. This means that 5,000 women in Haringey will have been stalked/harassed
- An estimated 3,500 women and girls are affected by female genital mutilation in Haringey, with 115 victims/survivors reported between April 2015 and March 2016
- There are high but hidden levels of forced marriage and crimes committed in the name of ‘honour’
- The Everyday Sexism campaign, which was set up to catalogue the experiences of women being sexually harassed on a regular basis has received over 100,000 submissions since it started in April 2012
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required