The cost to the National Health Service of treating home accident injuries has been estimated at £450 million per year. The cost of lost output, pain, grief and suffering is an additional £1,740 million.
Some facts and figures:
- The biggest single cause of accidents is human error
- With forethought most accidents could be prevented
- More people are injured in their own homes than anywhere else
- Every year there are approximately 6,000 deaths as the result of an accident at home
- Falls account for over 38 percent of all home accidents
- Fire is one of the most serious hazards in any home. It is fast spreading, lethal and devastating, yet very often preventable
- Accidents involving children often occur in the presence of an adult
- Many accidents occur in the home from everyday activities. For example children playing, preparing food, moving about the house, carrying out DIY and other household repairs
For further information on hazards in your home visit the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents website (external link).
For advice on safety from fires at home visit the London Fire Brigade website (external link). They can arrange a free home safety visit, especially for elderly and disabled people.
Small repairs or other work may make your home safer. Look for Home Maintenance and Repairs services on Haricare for help carrying these out in your own home.
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.
* = response required