Who can get a Direct Payment?

You may be able to get a direct payment if you have been assessed by Adult Social Services as needing care and support.

Direct payments can be made to:

  • disabled people aged 16 or over
  • older people
  • people with learning disabilities
  • users of mental health services
  • carers aged 16 or over who are eligible for carers' services
  • disabled parents
  • people with parental responsibility for disabled children under 16

Nominated person

You must be able to consent (make the decision on your own) to have a direct payment and also have the capacity to manage one, although you can have assistance to manage your payment on a day-to-day basis. For more information, see Acting as an authorised person (PDF, 112KB)

Will direct payments affect my benefits?

No. The Department of Work and Pensions do not take direct payments into account when they are assessing benefits, because they are not considered an income

More Information

For more information, see Getting started (PDF, 103KB)

Back to top


Page last updated:

October 4, 2022