Improving Northumberland Park together
Northumberland Park residents have told us they want more and better housing and good quality jobs. You want children and young people to feel safe on their local streets.
We have heard loud and clear that change is needed to create a healthier, happier, safer, and more connected community. You deserve neighbourhoods that meet your needs now and in the future. We want to make sure that any change in Northumberland Park builds on what already makes your local neighbourhoods great.
The key to this will be working with you to shape places that people want to live, work, play, and learn in, and neighbourhoods that are inclusive and benefit all local residents.
Together we can create great places in the Northumberland Park neighbourhood.
Developing a community placemaking plan
The community placemaking plan sets out how we will work with you to deliver the improvements that you want to see. Working in partnership we can make a real difference to Northumberland Park.
We want to work with you to deliver the improvements that you want to see. We’ve summarised them under four main areas of change.
1. Safe and sound
Providing the best housing services for you
You have told us that how your homes are managed and community safety are two of your top priorities.We will:
- recruit a dedicated Housing team for Northumberland Park who will be your single point of contact for all repairs and community safety issues. They will work closely with other Council teams to ensure you receive a joined-up service, including regular walkabouts and drop-in surgeries.
- work with you to improve local day to day housing services, including repairs, management, waste collection and cleaning.
- collaborate with partners to respond to community safety issues affecting your neighbourhood, including regular Community Safety walkabouts with the Police and rolling out Estate Watch CCTV across the area.
2. Homes and places
Creating new and improved homes and public spaces for all
You have told us you would like to see more affordable housing in the area, and improved open space and communal areas. We will:
- work with you to deliver neighbourhood improvements which celebrate your local area and test better ways of using existing spaces, such as community gardens, arts, lighting and play space.
- improve access to nature new planting, street improvements and clear signposts along Park Lane to the Lee Valley Regional Park will make it easier and more pleasant to access nature and lead an active lifestyle.
- work with you to respond to the individual opportunities of the different buildings, blocks and neighbourhoods which make up Northumberland Park and improve existing homes and communal areas so that you feel safe and proud to call the area home.
3. Community space and services
Improving access to community buildings and the services you need
You have told us there is a need for a community centre in the area where people from different backgrounds can meet and mix. We will:
- work with you to improve the Neighbourhood Resource Centre and create a community hub where you can access community facilities and support services
- collaborate with you and community partners to co-ordinate activity, networks and events such as community coffee mornings, and maximise the strengths and assets of your community.
- continue to provide drop-in local access to support and services at the Neighbourhood Resource Centre, including housing, mental health, and benefits advice.
4. Discover your future
Helping you reach your aspirations through opportunities, support and training
You have told us you would like improved access to jobs and training, particularly for young people. We will:
- help you access new work opportunities alongside support and training to develop new skills. This includes a dedicated Employment Navigator for Northumberland Park who will support you through your employment journey and link you to opportunities available in Haringey.
- deliver a range of initiatives for young people, engaging with them where they are comfortable, building their confidence and giving them the opportunity to understand their potential by providing them with options for their future.
- provide targeted business support to help the local economy recover, grow and prosper.
The Neighbourhood Resource Centre
We want to ensure that residents have a hub where they can go and access support, talk about improvements to their local area and find out more about current projects.
Come and speak to us at the Neighbourhood Resource Centre (NRC) at 177 Park Lane, N17 0HG every Tuesday from 11am - 4pm. Here you can also access a range of support and services including:
- Connected Communities
- support workers
- employment support
- housing-related advice
- community safety advice
Community Voices programme
If you live in Northumberland Park and would like to be a neighbourhood champion then get in touch! You are the local experts, and through the Community Voices programme you will help inform the design and decision-making process for any placemaking projects that take place in the area.
Please contact NPcommunity@haringey.gov.uk or call Sarah on 07967 442513 to find out more about how you can get involved in delivering change to Northumberland Park.