What is Neighbourhood Planning?
Neighbourhood Planning allows communities to influence the development and growth of their local area through the production of a neighbourhood development plan, a neighbourhood development order or a community right to build order.
In Haringey, neighbourhood planning is taken forward by 'neighbourhood forums' that will designate a ‘neighbourhood area’ for which to focus their proposals.
The concept of Neighbourhood Planning was introduced by the Localism Act 2011 which amended current planning legislation by adding new sections and schedules. These came into force on 6 April 2012. This was stenghthen through the Neighbourhood Planning Act 2017. Regulations have also been made which specify the procedures which must be undertaken when implementing the new arrangements. The legislative framework, attendant Regulations and the amendments can be found below:
- Neighbourhood Planning Regulations 2012 (external link)
- Neighbourhood Planning Act 2017 (external link)
- Neighbourhood Planning Act 2017 (Commencement No.1-5) Regulations 2017/18 (external link)
For further information about what Neighbourhood Planning means, and how it will work, please see our Frequently Asked Questions document (PDF, 33KB).
You can find a further guidance on Neighbourhood Planning from the links below:
- What is Neighbourhood Planning? (external link) - GOV.UK
- Step by Step Roadmap to creating a Neighbourhood Plan (external link) - Locality
- Neighbourhood Planning Forum and News (external link) - Our Neighbourhood Planning
- London Neighbourhood Planners Network (external link)
- Further information on Neighbourhood Planning (external link) - Planning Advisory Service
- Guidance on the Planning System (external link) - RTPI
- Guidance and support for communities (external link) - Planning Aid for London
If you are thinking about setting up a Neighbourhood Forum, or would like further information relating to Neighbourhood Planning, please contact the Planning Policy team on 020 8489 1479 or email firstname.lastname@example.org . Alternatively you can get advice from volunteers at Planning Aid (RTPI) via email email@example.com Please note that this is a voluntary service and only a limited amount of time can be provided to answer each query.
Highgate Neighbourhood Forum
Highgate Neighbourhood Forum is one of two designated Neighbourhood Forums in Haringey.
The Forum produced a Neighbourhood Development Plan for the Highgate Neighbourhood Area which, together with the adopted planning policy documents for both Haringey and Camden councils, forms the basis for determining planning applications in the area.
The Plan was adopted by the Council on the 20 July 2017, following a successful independent examination and local referendum.
- Please see the Highgate Neighbourhood Forum page for full details
Crouch End Neighbourhood Forum
Crouch End Neighbourhood Forum is one of two designated Neighbourhood Forums in Haringey. Please see the Crouch End Neighbourhood Forum and Area page for full details.
The Neighbourhood Forum will produce a Neighbourhood Plan for the Crouch End Area which, together with the adopted planning policy documents for Haringey council, will form the basis for determining planning applications in their area.
Finsbury Park and Stroud Green Proposed Neighbourhood Forum
We are consulting on a proposed neighbourhood forum for the Finsbury Park and Stroud Green Area. Please view the Finsbury Park and Stroud Green page for further details.
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required